Sixteen

The wolf stood still, watching the older one bound around playfully as if he were a puppy again. Harry thought it was quite cute actually, and didn't mind one bit when Louis bowed down in front of him, engaging a small game of tag between the two of them.

Louis was a yipping, barking, tail-wagging mess, the definition of a young wolf bound to get into some trouble; but Harry absolutely loved him already.

Both boys were bored of being cooped up inside for most of the afternoon, so Harry decided to take Louis on his run earlier than normal. So far, things have been uneventful. The alpha took the beta to his property borders, let him get used to the scent, and then continued on their way.

But looking at him now, Harry realized that Louis' wolf was much smaller than his own. However, now that the alpha knew that the beta was a runt, he internally coos as he imagines a younger version of the beta in front of him. How small he must've been when he was a tiny pup, granted Harry had watched him grow every time he visited the field with his dad.

He growled playfully, batting the much smaller wolf away from him when the beta pulled at his ear. They continued to chase each other long after dark, and it wasn't until a pair of headlights lit up the woods did they stop.

Louis' body stood rigid, the fur along his back prickling and standing up to appear taller than what he really was. He was at full attention now, his ears pricked up and alert as he barked warily.

The car stopped at the top of the driveway, and Harry knew who it was immediately. Louis on the other hand charged towards the vehicle, teeth bared, as he growled threateningly.

Liam had just stepped out of his car when he saw the small wolf running straight for him, and the alpha immediately climbed on top of his car to avoid getting bit by the fierce beta.

Harry was running after him, trying to stop Louis from hurting his best friend. "Louis, stop!"

The beta must've not heard him though, the small wolf reaching the car and barking at Liam as if his life depended on it.

Upon seeing the situation, Harry charged forward as well and knocked Louis off his feet, pinning the smaller wolf to the ground. The alpha growled a warning to his new beta before grabbing him by the ear, effectively making the poor wolf pliant beneath him.

Liam blinked down at the two, shock evident on his face as he shakily clambered down from the roof of his vehicle. He whistled lowly before shoving his hands in his pockets, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet while trying to act nonchalant.

"Well then, at least his beta instincts are still there," he chuckled humorously, still glancing at the said wolf every few seconds to make sure Blou didn't lunge for him again.

Harry gave Louis a stern glance before backing off of his new beta, and together the two wolves shifted into their human forms. The alpha made sure to stand between Liam and Louis though, acting as a quick barrier because he wasn't quite sure how his new companion would take introductions.

However, just as Harry was about to converse with his best friend, ask him why he was here for the most part, he was roughly shoved out of the way. He turned back around to see what was about to go down, and Harry had to roll his eyes once he took in Louis' posture as the beta stood before Liam, glaring the unfamiliar alpha down.

"Louis," Harry nearly growled, but the beta shrugged his tone off, seeming to be sizing Liam up instead.

Liam, who still hasn't really spoken, quickly glanced between the two of them, unsure about the situation. However, he knew that he had to quell Blou's, no Louis', suspicions about him.

The stranger held out a hand then, and Louis, having been startled at the sudden movement, growled down at it. He didn't know who this man was, despite having a few short encounters with him. Who knew if he could be trusted; Louis certainly didn't want any unfamiliar people near his alpha. Strangers be damned.

Liam seemed to notice that Louis wasn't going to shake his hand, so he retrieved it back to his side, and instead tried the conversation route. He wished that Harry could help him out here, but the wild beta before them had made it quite clear that he didn't want the other alpha anywhere near them until Louis had deemed Liam trustworthy.

"Hello Louis," Liam greeted gently, "it's nice to finally meet you."

Louis furrowed his brows at the casual tone, his protective stance changing, but only slightly. "Hi."

Harry just prayed to God that this could go faster so that he could get both Louis and himself inside to get dressed. It was bloody cold out at this time.