Prologue

Sniffling to himself in a corner, the young boy wiped his face clean of any tears. He knew that a few others were staring at him in sympathy, but at this point, he didn't want their pity; he wanted his mother, and he wanted his siblings.

Having a sudden feeling of a pelt brushing against his bare skin made him tense, and he quickly looked up in shock.

The white wolf looked down at him for a second before nuzzling her head into the boy's neck, scenting him to see if he was healthy. Once deeming him fine, but hungry, she laid down on the damp grass to show him her stomach.

He looked at her, unsure, and he even shook his head as he brought his knees up to his chest. "N-no thanks. I'm not hungry," he tried to deny as he looked back out beyond the fence.

However, the wolf was determined and had pushed him down with her snout until she could nuzzle him into her warm fur.

Getting the hint, the young boy shifted back into his own form, his light brown pelt blending into the leaves below.

On wobbly legs, he crawled towards her offered stomach, his own muzzle sniffing out the sweet-smelling milk; and it wasn't long until he started to suckle, his small, little paws kneading the white fur.

The she-wolf bent down to lick between his ears, humming a happy tune to help brighten his spirits. "Don't you worry, little one, I'll take care of you as I took care of all of these wolves."

He stopped for a second to glance up at her, his blue eyes, twinkling with the stars above, filled with hope and relief. "Thank you, um?"

She chuckled softly. "Just call me Mama Jay, you know? Like a momma bird?" She sighed dreamily as she laid her head down upon her white paws.

The young pup smiled in gratitude, his lips pulling back to show off his growing teeth. "Well, Mamma bird, 'm Louis," he introduced himself before he yawned sleepily; having a full and warm belly made him tired, and he's glad that this wolf offered her help to him.

"My little Louis, go to sleep now," she cooed as she started to groom the small pup, lulling the boy to sleep rather quickly.

Another presence made the older wolf glance up over her shoulder, and her tail wagged in recognition. "Hey Raven, dear."

The new wolf bowed her head in respect as she stepped forward, now getting a chance to see the sleeping Louis.

"Aw, he's such a cutie; such a shame that he wound up here though," she sighed dejectedly as she laid down beside her friend, now licking her ears in utter boredom.

Jay turned to look at her, snorting humorlessly, yet enjoying the warm tongue on her dirty fur. "Yeah, the poor thing was brought in today, not a clue about what's to come. It's both a blessing and a curse that we're one of the few wolves who can't be hunted on these grounds."

"At least he's got a few years before they put him on the list, this one is too scrawny to get a high price for meat."

Jay peeked her head back to glance at the sleeping pup before murmuring sadly. "That's not what I'm worried about. I can tell already that he'll be a fine, young beta, and those are trendy these days for the alphas; since they're harder to get pregnant, alphas who mate with a beta tend to be more sexually active until they do bare pups- and the puppies will sell for a lot of money."

Raven nudged Jay's shoulder affectionately. "Don't stress about it yet, mother. He's young, and we have plenty of time to teach him how to survive out here," she finished with a shudder, the fall wind sending chills down her spine.

Jay looked up into the night sky, nodding slightly. "Alright, now how about we head inside the den before he freezes to death?" She purred as she smiled at her daughter, standing up onto her four paws.

The white wolf bent down to sniff along Louis' brown flank, giving the fur there another lick before she bit down onto the puppy's scruff gently, effectively picking him up without awakening him from his slumber.

She walked side-by-side with the black wolf beside her until they've reached the man-made den in which she had to crawl into her own nest; but Raven was quick to follow along, wanting to offer more comfort and warmth to both her mother and the little one.

~~~

These old draftie stories never really had any plot, but I'm gonna update anyways since this story was the only one with 10+ chappies... so here you go, you're welcome.

Unedited
812 words

~A