Love on the Brain

Hazel's illegal beauty-potion making business was really taking off, ever since the other wizarding schools had arrived to Hogwarts.

It seemed like every girl in Hogwarts wanted a bottle of Anti-Acne Ointment, or a vial of Long-Lash Growth Serum. Another popular product was her special hair oil, which she had several different variations of, depending on the hair type. 

Sometimes, when one of her customers asked her for somethings that her beauty book didn't have, she would make a note of it, and then spend the next week trying to come up with her own product. Putting together a whole new potion was a challenge enough—even with her extensive knowledge on organic chemistry, Hazel still struggled to hypothesize what formula would do the trick—and the sheer number of requests coming in meant that there was a buttload of work to be done.

Lacie Middleton wanted the freckles on her forehead to disappear without leaving scars. Sierra Bellechamp wanted a moisturizer that didn't clog up her pores but was also strong enough to stop her sensitive skin from drying out and peeling. Hannah Jones wanted something that would help stop her excessive perspiration. Jenna Tickers wanted her lips to be redder and puffier. Imani Kumalo wanted her nails to grow thicker. The Patil twins wanted their eyes to change colour. All of these things required extensive research, planning, development, and experimentation. Hazel knew that if she sold something dangerous or faulty, not only would someone get hurt, but she lose her customer's trust, and she could probably get expelled if someone snitched.

She forced all of her customers to promise they would be discreet with their products and make sure that none of the prefects or teachers found out about her business, but Hazel knew that she was walking a thin line. Rationally, she knew she was being stupid and irresponsible, but the thrill of the business kept her hooked. Not only was she making money, but she was doing it by utilizing her most favourite skill: potion making. She had set up shop in Myrtle's bathroom, which hosted a multitude of benefits. Firstly, no one in the entire school dared step a foot near Myrtle's door. Even the other ghosts avoided her. Hazel understood why, and at times she found it hard to share a space with Myrtle, who liked to dip her ghost hands into the cauldron and pretend like it was burning her. When Myrtle wasn't tormenting Hazel over the possibility that she was creating dangerous products, the ghost-child was actually pretty cool to hang out with. 

She would go on missions for Hazel, spying on other students through the pipes, listening in on their conversations. Mostly, Myrtle was just listening for gossip, and whenever she found some, she would go hurtling back to her bathroom to tell Hazel. This meant that Hazel could have some peace and tranquillity when Myrtle was gone, and also intel on her customers when Myrtle was back.

One of the biggest challenges that Hazel was facing was finding people who would willingly let her test her potions on them. To be more plain, Hazel couldn't find anyone who was willing to test out her products. She considered testing them out on herself, but this wasn't the Weasley's Wizarding Weazes, these weren't toys, these weren't sweets, these were body-altering potions. 

She knew Muggles tested out things on animals, but she didn't think that was something she would be comfortable with. She also knew that if this whole thing (metaphorically) blew up in her face, Hagrid would never forgive her if he found out she tested on animals. 

Divine inspiration only hit her in the third week of business.

It was one of those busy days, where she had been working none-stop for school and had gone on her business errands as soon as the last class ended. Usually, she would go to her customers; maybe it was their common room, maybe she met them on a stairwell, or in an abandoned classroom—as long as none of the teachers caught wind of it, then the location didn't matter.