The Forbidden Fruit | 59

Third person POV

Third person POV

Tyler could hear his heart beating in his chest rapidly, he could feel his fingers getting sweaty by the second, the pain in his chest, the ache in his head. He could feel his brother's hand on his shoulder as he ushered him towards the car.

Tyler clasped his hand over Malcom's and sucked in a harsh breath. He shook his head vigorously and leaned against the door, trying his hardest to maintain his breaths in fear that he'd pass out and right now wasn't the moment to pass out. "Tyler, breathe. Okay?"

Tyler snapped his head towards Malcom, they're eyes came in contact and for a moment he wondered what kid would have been like if his brother never left for LA. Would they have never been in this situation? No, it wouldn't have stopped their mother from taking drugs but maybe things could have been easier.

Maybe he could have started college sooner and get to graduate with his friends then. Maybe with Malcoms help, he would have been able to save their house from the clutches of the bank. He wouldn't have to fight and come home with bruises every day, he wouldn't feel like he was alone.

But Tyler realized that fantasizing now wouldn't change anything. He's been at his mother's side for two years alone, grinding hard in order to pay for her medical bills, her nurse and school. Now finally when he had the chance to get it all off his back and finally put himself first this happens.

One of the most important women to him life was at risk and he didn't know what to do. "Deep breaths, okay. In and out." Tyler followed Malcom's directions until he was breathing at a steady pace. Malcom nodded his head slowly until Tyler calmed down, "now let's get in the car." Tyler gulped and opened the passenger's side of Malcom's car before slipping in.

His mind was hazy, he couldn't think clearly. If he thought before he was confused and conflicted then this moment right now only worsened it. What would have happened if they didn't get that phone call he thought? Was Malcom serious when he told Tyler to stay?

Would he have stayed?

Of course. That little voice muttered in the back of his mind and he clenched his jaw tightly. He would have stayed. . .for her.

"GOD DAMMIT!" He shouted in frustration, slamming his hand against the dashboard repeatedly until Malcom had to struggle to restrain him. "Tyler! Tyler calm down!"

"Calm down!? Mom had a fucking stroke! A stroke! People die from strokes! They lose their memories sometimes when they wake up–if they wake up. She can pop a vein any day!"

"I know but screaming and punching my car won't make her get better. So relax! Mom is fine. . .I just know it. She has to be." Tyler realized something at that moment. Sure Malcom appeared cool and collected but he knew his brother and this was his way of being worried.