The Forbidden Fruit | 47

Arabella's POV

Arabella's POV

As they join their hands in marriage.

In marriage.

In marriage.

I ripped my hand from Ryan's, my breath hitching in my throat as Mr. Marks' words replayed like a broken record in my head. Our hand in marriage? This–this is what I was waiting for wasn't it? This is why I felt that uneasiness that day in the office when Ryan asked me to go out dinner.

This is why my mother cancelled our thanksgiving together, why no one would answer me, why she flashed me that sad smile, why she's too goddamn ashamed to meet my gaze and why my father. . . My father.

"Arabella?"

I snapped out of my reverie and met my mother's gaze, her lips were downturned in a frown and her face was etched in concern as she leaned towards me slowly. I flinched backwards, my back hitting the chair harshly but I didn't even whimper in pain as the wood dug into my skin.

Ryan placed his hand on my shoulder and I flinched away once again, my eyes wide as I toppled off the chair quickly which caused it to career into the tiled floor beneath me with a loud bang. "Arabella hear us out." My mother whispered softly as she slowly stood up, her arms outstretched as if she were approaching a feral animal.

I stumbled away, slipping on my stilettos which sent me flying backwards but a pair of strong hands caught my fall. I peered up to see Mr. Marks staring down at me and immediately I shuffled away from him. "W–What the hell do you guys mean hand in marriage, who the hell is getting married!?"

"Sweetie we came here tonight to have this conversation civilly, if you cower away like a bruised puppy we can't talk to you and neither Ryan." I snapped my head towards Ryan who was now standing up, a conflicted expression on his face as he averted his gaze from me and onto his father then mine.

My very own father!?

"I— what the hell is going on!" I didn't even recognize my own voice, it was filled with rage, rage I didn't know that I could even harbour but it was there and all I could see at the moment was pitch black as I leaned against the table for support.

"Tessa, Nessa and Hanna can you girls please leave, we'll resume dinner in a bit okay? This is between the adults." Tony said as he ushered the girls out of the kitchen. I caught Nessa's gaze and she flashed me a sad smile before spinning around and disappearing out of the dining room.

My father slowly approached me but I shot a hand out, halting him in his footsteps as I shook my head vigorously. "I swear to god you get any closer and I'm running out of this house like Cinderella." I snapped, he pursed his lips in a thin line and shoved his hands into his pocket before lowering himself back down into the chair and placing his face in his palms.