thirty-three ☆ permanently closed

NOVEMBER
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

the football and cheer season had come to a close, and that meant elena would be able to spend more time with zach. right after school, she headed to the sunflower field. however, there was a giant sign hung up on the gates.

-

THE OAKLAND SUNFLOWER
FIELD WILL BE PERMANENTLY
CLOSED STARTING 11/17/2019.
UNDER GOVERNOR
HERBERT'S SUPERVISION,
THE SPACE WILL BE USED FOR
A NEW GROCERY STORE.

THANK YOU!

-

elena's jaw dropped, and she immediately ran to her and zach's usual spot.

"oh my gosh," elena sighed, "did you see the sign?"

zach nodded, "this place is closing for good."

elena put her right hand on her forehead, "they normally only close for the winter season, but i can't believe they're getting rid of this place. i would come here all the time for years."

the brunet put his arm around the girl, "don't worry, ellie, i'm sure we'll find someplace else."

elena stood up, "zach, this place is special. there isn't anywhere else that makes me feel at such peace. this field is my escape from reality."

zach stood up as well, "elena, maybe this is a good thing? we have tons of memories here, so maybe we can make new memories somewhere else?"

"i guess so," elena sighed, "i'm really going to miss it here. this is where i met you."

zach smiled, and slowly hugged the somber girl in front of him. they embraced with such intensity, and elena sank her face into his chest.

"do you want to find a new place?" zach suggested, "maybe it'll take your mind off the field closing."

elena shook her head, "we only have a few days left. i want to spend as much time here as possible while we still have it."

zach nodded, "you're a strong person, elena. i know you'll get through this."

elena smiled, "thanks, zach."

the girl laid her head in zach's lap, and he played with her dark hair as he gazed upon the field where he first met elena.

-

"do you want to come over, or should i just bring you home?" zach inquired, walking out of the field with elena.

"i think it's better if you just drop me off," elena answered, "karen is still on edge with me."

"i'm just glad you have your phone back. those two days without texting you really sucked," zach mentioned.

elena laughed, "just don't text me after nine-thirty. karen takes my phone by then."

the brunet had parked in front of elena's house, and the girl stepped out of his car, "thanks, zach. i'll see you soon."

zach waved goodbye, and smiled to himself as he watched the dark-haired girl enter her house. he began to start the car to drive to pineland, until he noticed something by his rear view mirror.

days after alayna passed, he ordered a customized air freshener in the shape of a heart with her picture in it. the brunet moved closer to the air freshener and took a sniff. the aroma of coconut and lime took over his nose, alayna's signature scent. he was amazed that after all those months, the air freshener still had its fragrance.

zach stared at the image of his late best friend, and felt off. he didn't feel his stomach fall, nor did his eyes water like they normally would.

he hadn't looked at it in a while.

...