14

Kurt looked at his feet while him and Blaine walked into school. He never liked to look up, people only looked back at him with disgusted faces. And he couldn't look the football players in the eye without them getting angry. Of course he didn't tell Blaine this. Blaine just thought he was being shy.

"You know Kurt, it's much easier and safer to look where you're going." Blaine smiled, looking at him in the side of his vision. Kurt looked up at him and then looked back down at the ground. Blaine sighed to himself. They arrived at Kurt's English class.

"Kurt, I'll see you at lunch, okay?" Blaine smiled to him. Kurt nodded, and though it wasn't much, Blaine could tell he was a bit more relieved to be able to eat lunch with somebody. Probably because of the bullies.

———We gonna time skip because I don't want to write filler———

Blaine entered the cafeteria to the usual shouting and food-throwing. Of course it was loud at Dalton too, that's what happens when you put a bunch of boys in a room together after having to maintain proper etiquette all day. But he'd have to get used to the degree of chaos in public school. He tuned out the rest of the cafeteria and focused on the table with one kid sitting at it. Kurt was looking around, and stopped when he saw Blaine. Blaine made his way over, narrowly avoiding slipping on a puddle of chocolate milk.

He gave the boy a smile and sat in the seat across from him, setting down his school lunch tray.

"Hey." Blaine greeted. Kurt looked up at him, gave a small wave, and then looked back down to his packed lunch. Blaine was happy that he got a proper greeting. Kurt took out a sandwich (which was cut into triangles)  and started to nibble on the corner, occasionally glancing up at Blaine, before blushing and focusing on his food. Blaine found this sort of cute, the way he was acting. And when he did make eye contact, Blaine found himself wanting more. More of his gaze, more of his personality. It took Kurt ten minutes to finish half of his sandwich. Normally it would take longer, but Blaine was there. He felt a bit more comfortable.

"If it isn't the fairy and her bodyguard..." a voice came from behind Kurt. Blaine looked up to see the football player, who was standing menacingly. He looked back to Kurt and saw that he was just staring at the table, not reacting except for a bit of tension in his posture.

"Kurt is not a fairy." Blaine growled.

"Oho! He thinks he can take me on!" The football player chuckled. "Hey everybody! The runt thinks he can take me on!"

The entire cafeteria was watching. All the students there loved to watch a good fight go down. In the corner, a kid pulled out a video camera. Blaine wondered how often this had to happen for kids to carry around full cameras and not just their phones.

"I don't want to fight." Blaine said calmly. He could feel Kurt's gaze as he didn't break eye contact with the football player. He knew it could scare Kurt, even if his own morals didn't matter. Though Blaine wouldn't go against his own morals.

He had been in the Dalton fight club. There, they had tournaments, but the fights were always fair. You fought somebody of your own size and relative skill level. And his team had a moral. Do not fight outside the tournaments and practice, unless in self defense. Blaine wasn't sure if he could even take on this jock.

"Here that? The kid's not even got the guts to fight!" The football player laughed, earning a few laughs from the bystanders. The football player was quick to punch Blaine in the eye, before laughing and walking away. Blaine mumbled to himself and sat back down, holding his hand over his eye. Kurt was staring at him and quickly grabbed his notebook.

Are you okay?

"I'll be fine." Blaine sighed. Not in annoyance, just in defeat. Kurt looked up for moment and then wrote again.

I'm sorry

Blaine furrowed his eyebrows. "Why?"

Kurt let out a sigh of his own.

I'm the reason they came.

He paused. Blaine was about to speak but Kurt started to write more.

You didn't have to do that. The black eye was meant for me.

"I wanted to do that Kurt. I'd rather it be me than you." Blaine argued. Kurt blushes a bit and then looked back towards his notebook.

Can I see how bad it is?

Blaine slowly moved his hand away. The area around his eye was red, very red. It would probably bruise later. Kurt put a hand over his mouth in shock. It just looked painful.

"It's okay... I-I've has worse. Trust me." Blaine said, though Kurt didn't miss the way his voice faltered when he spoke. He could sense the minuscule lack of confidence in his tone. Just then, a girl came up to them. Kurt looked up and then back away quickly. Of all the times it had to be now.

"Hello, new student!" She smiled. She was looking at Blaine.

"Hi...?" Blaine questioner, glancing to Kurt.

"My name is Rachel Barry. I'm the leader of the glee club here."

Blaine smiled. She didn't seem... threatening. "Blaine." He said. "Anderson."

"I saw you fight that jock. You and I are really the same, you know?" She smiled, sitting in the table, not caring that she sat almost right in front of Kurt. "You and I are both repressed. I can't show my talent and you can't show your fighting skills." Blaine thought she was a bit over the top but listened.

"I think you should join the glee club. We need one more member for Sectionals." She said matter-of-factly.

"You have a glee club?"

"Yes we do. Didn't Kurt tell you?"

Blaine looked to Kurt. "No, but that's okay. I know now." He said, making sure not to blame Kurt for anything.

"Of course he didn't. He's a traitor. I suggest you get away from him while you can, especially if you don't want him to get your solo out of pity."

This made Kurt tense. He bit his tongue in his mouth to try to keep himself together as he focused on the crumb in the table.

"Kurt's my friend." Blaine stated. He looked to Kurt and reached over. He took his hand. "I'm not leaving him. Especially for a reason like that." Blaine spat. This girl's ego was definitely bigger than her sense of kindness.

"Fine. One more solo for me. You can deny my offer, but you can't deny my talent." Rachel hopped off of the table and walked away as the bell rang. Students all rushed to class.

"Hey, you okay?" Blaine asked Kurt, squeezing his hand just barely, to remind him that he was there. Normally things like this didn't phase Kurt much, but now that Rachel was making him doubt how much Blaine cared, he was struggling. He looked to Blaine with obvious struggle in his eyes. Blaine's look become softer if that was even possible.

"Let's get you home. You've taken enough for today." He said sweetly. Kurt made a move of protest and grabbed his notebook.

I have a history test later. I can't.

"You can take it tomorrow. Your dad can call the school about it." Blaine stood up. "You aren't in any state to do well anyway. I'm bringing you home."

Kurt sighed and stood up. He glanced to Blaine, and showed a tiny smile. Just barely there, but a smile nonetheless. He timidly reached to Blaine and took his hand. His hands were warm, sending heat through his own freezing hands. Kurt's hand were always cold.

Blain walked him to the office, hand in hand.