13

That morning, Kurt woke up early, and it took him a minute to remember what happened last night. He looked for Blaine, but he wasn't there. He was a bit confused, because he could remember him staying with him.

Had he dreamt the whole thing?

Yeah, he must've. Kurt sat up and smelled bacon downstairs. Kurt got a little bit excited, because he loved bacon. And even more, bacon meant pancakes. He loved pancakes. He got out of bed and fixed his covers before going into the bathroom. He always moisturized before going downstairs. That's what the first lotion was for. Waking him up.

He spent about ten minutes rubbing various lotions into his skin, all of which were absolutely necessary for healthy skin. He then decided to style his hair, something he hadn't done very much. He was in a good mood today though. Well, good by his standards. Bacon, pancakes, and an amazing dream. Not amazing because he had a nightmare in it. Amazing because somebody else cared. He wished he could have continued that dream.

But Blaine wasn't like that. Blaine wouldn't care, he'd just smile and assure him it's okay, and then he'd leave like everybody else did. Dreams were called dreams for a reason. They weren't real. And he accepted it.

He finished styling his hair and moved on to his outfit. He still decided on something that wasn't very 'Kurt Hummel Original', but he didn't just put on a nice sweater and call it fashion. He was angry with himself for ever letting himself do such a thing. He was feeling somewhat confident, so he modeled himself in the mirror real quick before heading downstairs.

Kurt looked into the living room as he went downstairs, but didn't see anyone. He heard voices in the kitchen though. It sounded like Blaine was talking about one of those unnecessarily violent video games with Finn. He quietly shuffled into the kitchen and took a seat at the table. Everybody greeted him, and Blaine gave him a nice smile. Burt put down a plate of pancakes, obviously made by Carole because Burt couldn't cook. Kurt willingly took them, which made everybody happy because they knew how he was sometimes.

Kurt listened to his family and Blaine talk, and he avoided eye contact with Blaine. It was a habit even though he'd felt more comfortable around him before. Blaine and Finn resumed to talk about some game where you shoot zombies or something while his dad and Carole chatted about work. Kurt was voluntarily mute, but that didn't stop him from feeling left out. He missed talking to people normally. Of course he was able to talk, but he just knew he shouldn't. His voice wasn't wanted, and he'd already been shown that by many people.

"Hey Kurt?" A kind voice broke his thought. Kurt looked up and saw that it was Blaine. He looked at him, silently telling him to continue.

"Would you mind if I asked you something? In the living room?" Blaine asked. His words were careful. He didn't want to scare the boy. Blaine looked up to Burt for approval. Of course he'd spoken to Burt already about last night, but he wanted to be sure it was okay to be alone with Kurt for a few minutes to ask him about it.

Kurt shook his head and stood up. His dad was there, he'd be okay, right? He waited for Blaine to go into the living room first. Blaine took a seat on the couch and gave Kurt a smile.

"I just wanted to know if you're okay." Blaine stated, moving over so Kurt would have more room on the couch. Kurt reaches over to the glass coffee table for one of the notepads that were always scattered around the house.

Why wouldn't I be?

Blaine thought for a moment before answering. "You and a nightmare last night, and I didn't expect you to want me to stay." Blaine said. Kurt furrowed his eyebrows. Why was Blaine reciting his dream? Curiosity got the best of him, despite the part himself yelling at him not to make himself look dumb.

I dreamed that. How do you know?

Blaine held back a chuckle. This kid was adorable. He looked back at him, and Kurt looked pretty much clueless.

"You didn't dream that Kurt. I was there." He smiled. "I hope I didn't make you uncomfortable." Blaine quickly said. Kurt shook his head to Blaine's relief. Kurt thought for a moment, but he had a question that had been burning for a while. He besides as he wrote one word down.

Why?

"Why what?" Blaine asked. He was confused, but ready to listen to what Kurt had to ask.

Why haven't you left yet?

Blaine hopes this wasn't going where he thought it was, so he tried to avoid that. "I'm staying with your family remember?"

Kurt took almost a whole minute to write down what was next. He was fighting with himself on wether to ask more or not.

No. Why haven't you left me yet? Everyone does.

That's the question Blaine was fearing. He assumed it, but he hated knowing that nobody else seemed to care about Kurt.

"Because I think you're a really cool person. And I want to be friends with you at some point." He said, trying to mask his anger towards the entire state of Ohio.

I'm not.

"Kurt. Whatever they said, they just want clout at school. None of what the bullies say is true Kurt. You're an amazing person." Blaine said, turning to him more. He had a serious look in his eyes. Kurt looked away, mostly to hide the blush that was creeping up onto his face. Maybe Blaine wasn't out to get him. What he had learned from his time on the football team was that the popular guys never spoke poorly of other popular guys. Girls maybe, but not guys.

His hands were shaking, but he looked back up and his hand hovered over Blaine's. He wrote with his free hand.

I think I'd like to try being friends.

Kurt put his hand on Blaine's very gently. He hadn't touched people in a while. After everything that went down, just touch had made him jumpy and panicky. He tensed when he felt Blaine carefully hold his hand. But he relaxed when alone didn't do anything else.

"I'd love to be friends." Blaine smiled.