Chapter 29

"What do you mean he left you?"

I was sitting beside my mother, Zyker watching us intently from behind his desk. We were the only people in the room. Cory had excused himself after holding out my chair. But he hadn't left without Zyker promising to talk to him later.

My mother's face reddened with shame.  She had refused to look at me. Instead she had taken a remarkable intrest in her folded hands.

What the hell did she have to be ashamed about? Unless she was the cause. But that was impossible. I mentally slapped myself. She loved my dad, and they had a great relationship. They went on dates every week. They were happy.

"We were never mates. And...well I suppose he found his true mate. I cannot blame him-"

Why was she making excuses. She couldn't blame him? He'd kicked her out!

"He left you for another woman!" I screamed, my voice pitching a few otives that caused Zyker to flinch. "What a asshole! Mom, he can't just kick you out of your home! You have rights....we can take this to a court. There is no-"

"Angelina!" My mother snapped, meeting her eyes I saw that she was impatient. "I am not your fathers true mate. Nothing can be done. Our law does not work that way. And I knew what I was getting myself into...I just hadn't thought he'd find her. Especially at our age."

I stared at the women infront of me, disbelieving that she could be so entirely weak.

'So... what? Your homeless now. And you're just going to take that? Allow him and this Other women to k8ck you out of your own house!

My mother frowned, It was rare to see her in such low spirits. But now she looked exhausted. "No, Angelina. I have come home." She paused, letting out a heavy sigh. "You do not understand our ways. This is my fault."

Our ways? What ways? Home, her home was here? I let loose a crazed chuckle, both individuals stared at me as though I was the insane one. As though I didn't have the right to feel a bit crazed when they were spewing bullshit. She didn't live here, at the end of the day that was something that I knew. She didn'tlive here. This odd place where rubbies sprung from the ground like grass. Where the sky had an odd otherworldly allusion to it. Where shapeshifters and other supernatural beings roamed. Where some strange ghost lady haunted your dreams. She couldn't know. She...

I was dreaming again. Because that was the only logical reason! It had to be. Mom did not belong here. Here odd neon cloths and bubbly personality.

"Darling, I hadn't planned on telling you.   We- I thought it best that you transformed before we explained anything to you. But I guess our plans had changed when Zyker came for you. Perhaps it wasn't the best decision."

Decision? Transform? No. My head clouded over. No! What the hell was she saying! Because if she was implying that I...I I refused to think about it.

"My parents also wanted to keep it hidden. If you were captured no one would ever know what you were, nonetheless what you are to me. You were safer in that realm knowing little to nothing about what you are...what you are," Zyker voice was a soft caresse. And when my panicked gaze met his, there was nothing but sympathy and understanding in his.

Ice trickled down my veins.

Before I could even process the fist trainwreck another was coasting my way. "Maybe a week into your birth, we were summoned. All weres have to be present during a princes transformation. My parents come from a high ranking family here in Stellarum. That is why me and your father were allowed within the castel walls. It wasn't long before the prince barged up to our table and demanded to hold you."