It worked, slightly.

Jenna had called her halfway through the day in heaps of tears. She and Alaric had broken up when she found out both him and Elena had gone behind her back to compel Jeremy. Calming her down Letha said she could stay with her for a little while if she didn't want to stay on campus instead and that the two could watch Legally Blonde and eat ice cream when Letha got home after school and dance.

After school she found herself back at the dance studio once again, she had a competition coming up soon and she and her partners needed to practice. Letha stared at herself in the large mirror, head held high and lips parted, she breathed in the music, sending it through her torso and arms and, transforming it into energy, motion.

Her partners for this specific dance were Jasper and Alex, she'd know the two boys when they all joined the dance company at the age of six. They were fast friends of hers and had been deeply mad at her when she first came back to Mystic Falls after her unexpected leave. She'd only managed to persuade them to forgive her after she apologised a million times... and given them a large bag full of sweets each.

"Ugh," Letha collapsed to the floor with a groan once they were done, letting out a wheezing cough as both boys dog piled on top of her with a laugh, "get off, you're crushing me."

"What are the magic words?" Jasper questioned with a cheeky smile, green eyes sparkling. His red hair had always reminded her of fire when she was young, so much so that she refused to touch it out of fear of getting burnt till she was nine years old.

"Get off before I change my Netflix password so you two can't use it?" They quickly scrambled off of her, each holding a hand out to dramatically pull her up, Letha flying through the air for a moment before landing, "That one always works."

The three cleaned up and changed back into their normal clothes before preparing to leave, "You coming over tonight? We're gonna binge watch as many Harry Potter films as we can and do shots of tequila every time Dumbledore is shady."

"No Jenna's waiting for me, sorry," the two of them booed at her, "but you're gonna hate yourselves in the morning if you stay up that late."

"Jokes on you, I'm gonna hate myself anyways." Alex spoke, only for Jasper to smack him over the back of the head and Letha to give him disapproving mum eyes.

The three walked to Jasper's car together, the red head offering her a lift only for her to refuse. The sky was darkening but it was that lovely colour between day and night, and her flat was only a few minutes away — though she did regret not bringing her yellow bike as the night air nipped at her legs.

It got dark quicker than she expected, and paranoia quickly kicked in. The sound of leaves rusting and wind rushing made her flinch, she stopped for a moment, feeling for the stake strapped to her thigh as all around her went quiet, "Letha." She flinched at Stefan's voice, turning to face him. His eyes were vacant and empty, like all the lights inside him had gone out, his lips were set into a mock frown as he observed her, "If I could be sorry, I'm sure I would be about this — but I need to get to Kla—,"

He was abruptly cut off by the girl shoving a wooden stake in his stomach and kicking him away from her. She cursed herself for leaving the stake in him as she ran off into the dark night. The street they were on was empty, but up ahead on the next road she could see cars whizzing past, her feet ran as fast as she possibly could — but who can outrun a vampire?