CHAPTER1 - CHOSEN

"We're never so vulnerable than when we trust someone. But if we cannot trust, neither can we find love."

DON'T LET THEM TAKE YOU

CHAPTER1

I look out my window. The city lights glisten on the surface of river below as I smirk to myself.

Looks like I'm going to like this new flat. I think to myself as I admire the view below me.

When I first came here last week, I hated the tiny flat. Cramped rooms, crumbly kitchen units, peeling walls and rowdy neighbours. It is easily the crappiest place I've ever lived. But as I check out the view from my new bedroom window I begin to change my mind a little.

Down below, beside the river, is a basketball court. It's pretty plain. Just worn-down concrete lined by small tattered bleachers for spectators, and red basketball hoops stand tall at either end.

No, it was the boys on the court that grabbed my attention straight away. They were all tall and muscular, and looking very athletic as they sprinted up and down the court passing, throwing and shouting to each other playfully. There was about seven of them playing basketball, and I couldn't help but notice that they  all had extremely handsome faces. I found it a little weird how each one of them was so undeniably perfect.

But hey, I'm definitely not complaining!

It's kind of cold outside, but most of them are wearing nothing but baggy shorts. Their t-shirts are slung over their shoulders or laid on the bleachers. Leaving their gorgeous, toned torsos on full display.

On second thought, yeah. I like this flat.

*

"Ashley! Grab these for me, will ya?" My mom says hurriedly, as I enter our small kitchen. I step awkwardly over the piles of out stuff that is strewn across the faded lino flooring. I take the bag and three small boxes that she is clutching desperately. "Careful, that's all our china..."

"Oh, right." I wobble a little, but manage to set the stuff down on the kitchen counter without destroying anything. I start to unpack them. Carefully taking out plates and cups and placing them in the kitchen cupboards. "What's the school like here?" I ask my mom. She reappears at the kitchen door with another box.

"It looks great. It's a real big part of the town, everyone is always talking about it round here!" She says, smiling at me reassuringly after she almost falls over the mess of unpacked stuff. "You better go get some sleep. I'll unpack all this." She looks around, tiredly.

"Okay mom," I say, chewing my lip in thought, thinking about how in two days I'll be starting my new school...

I'm pretty used with being the new girl. My mom is always struggling to find work, so whenever something crops up we always end up driving off to a totally new place to live. Which, in this case, is this secluded little town called Shady Oaks.

And so I have to try and fit in all over again.

 I don't mind it too much. It means I can start over and have a fresh start. I can be anyone I want to be and forget my past. And my mistakes. I know a lot of people wish they could do that, but they can't. I guess that makes me sorta lucky.

I wander back to my bedroom, which is also so tiny that it barely fits my double bed. But like my mom keeps saying 'it's nice and cosy'. I tie my long hair back because it's annoying me, and then slip into my pj's. I sit on my bed, looking out the window at the dreamy boys below.

It's dark now but the court is illuminated by yellow street lights. I think to myself how pretty it looks by the river. It's getting real late, and the hotties are finishing their game. Instead, they hang around the edges of the court, pulling their t-shirts back on and talking to each other.