Chapter 27

Jolting awake, my mind races to work out where I am. Night has engulfed the world in dark shadows, save from the flickering light coming from a small fire. I look around and recognition stirs in my mind.
"You're awake!" Jasper exclaims, throwing himself into me with a warm embrace. Eyes adjusting to the lack of light, I see Lyam curled up asleep on the other side of the fire. A small pile of bags lie near him and I see that he is tucked into a sleeping bag much like the one I find myself in. "We thought you might not make it," Jasper continues.
"What happened?" I ask.
"Well, after you killed the girl, you passed out. We couldn't get down to you so we continued on and got equipment and a long rope from the second Cornucopia. We only managed to get down to you today,"
"So how long have I been out for?"
"Just over a day, we had to leave you on the first night. Lyam didn't want to but we had no other way to get to you." We both sit, in silence, watching the fire. "How's your head?" I touch it, feeling for where I was hit. A lump forms under my fingers, just above my temple.
"It's alright," I answer.
"And the back?" He lightly touches I and I wince in pain. "Not quite so alright. We bandaged it once we got down but you had lost a lot of blood from it. And neither of us are very good at bandaging." I nod and smile, tucking my knees up to my chest. "I forgot to mention. The girl from 9 died."
I pause for a moment, trying to remember the small, mousy girl who couldn't throw a knife from 5 feet, "how many does that leave?"
"Six excluding us. So nine in total," I close me eyes slightly, feeling my stomach churn unsteadily.
"What did you mean when you said everything I am?"
"Huh?"
"About your nightmares, about you sister,"
"Ah." The recollection of what he said dawns on him. "It's nothing you should worry yourself about. Don't trouble over it. Try to sleep." Rolling up the hood of my sleeping bag, I use it as a pillow to prop my sore head off the snow. Watching the wood crackle and glow, I slowly doze off into a light sleep.

Morning dawns colder than ever. A sickly blue sky hovers over us as we scatter the fire's ashes and pack up. A long, thick rope hangs down the side of the cliff face.
"I'll go first," Lyam offers, gripping the rope tightly. We watch tensely as he climbs his way up. About half way he stops and passes the rope around his waist, securing it with a knot. With bated breath, we watch him clear the top. The rope slides down to us.
"Ladies first? Or would you prefer me to go next?"
"You go, I'll wait." The knot in my stomach tightens. Watching Jasper scale the cliff face makes my plans slick with sweat. When the rope lands in front of me, I tie myself into it with shaking hands. Taking deep breaths, I slowly begin to walk myself up the cliff. Legs wobbling like crazy, my feet struggle to get a good grip. Breaths quickening, I can feel myself panicking.
"Don't look down," I tell myself. "Just don't look down." But my eyes slide downwards and I see that I'm five meters in the air. A scream escapes my lips.
"Prim, look at me," Lyam shouts. "Look up at me." Eyes glued shut, I shake my head vigorously. "Prim, you've gotta look up at me. You're gonna be fine. Tie the rope that's in front of you around you. We'll pull you up," I diligently follow his instructions, keeping my feet on the wall and letting them pull me the rest of the way. Pain seers through my torso as the rope digs into my ribcage. Nearly in tears, I really the top. I let out a small sob.
"I can't take this," I whimper. Two sets of arms embrace me, holding me close as I cry.