Chapter 10

We're packed tightly into a crystal elevator and watch as those below us grow smaller and smaller. Visions of my last lift experience swirl in my mind, clouding my thoughts causing muddy eddies to form in the mirror surface of my musing. Memories of going to see Katniss kick at my head. The terror that coursed through my veins the first time, returns, making me feel dizzy.

After a few seconds, we smoothly glide to a halt and the doors slide open, as gracefully as a swan opening its wings. A massive room stretches out in front of us. Plush, velvety sofas are carefully positioned on the cold, marble floor to give the best view from the double height glass wall. Effie bounds across to us and links an arm through mine and Lyam's.
"Let's go see your quarters," she chirps.
"I'm sure they can find them on their own," slurs Haymitch. Effie ignores his comment and guides us as the room curves out of sight. She shows my quarters first before leaving me to show Lyam his. Behind the last door of my corridor is an enormous bedroom. An elegant ensuite is adjacent to it with a door from both the corridor and bedroom. The shower alone has more buttons and control than I have ever seen, let alone imagined would be necessary to work a shower. My bedroom is simply furnished, with all effort going into making the view the focal point. Dark blue is the obvious theme, all the walls are painted midnight blue. The double bed is fitted with a cream cover and the pillows have been freshly plumped. The whole rooms smells slightly too strongly of disinfectant, even the newly bought lamp shades, have the scent clinging to them. I strip off and take a long, hot shower. I press buttons at random, the glass labels having been fogged up by the steam that is spilling from the shower. I dry myself off with a towel, marvelling at how smooth my hair feels; it slips between my fingers like hot butter. I sniff it, inhaling deeply the orange scent. One of the avoxes, a very beautiful girl with big eyes, brings me a brush. I run the teeth through my knotted ends, ignoring the box that could do this for me in a second.

I program the wardrobe and it offers me a blouse and skirt. I discard them. I'm no longer going to be anyone's little duck.

Everyone stares at me as I take my seat at the table.
"What have you done to your hair?" Katniss whispers. I touch a hand to locks which now barely graze my shoulders.
"I cut it," I answer simply, taking a sip of wine that has just been poured for me. I regret it as the bitter taste fills my mouth. "Do you like it?" My question is met by stunned silence. Cinna coughs and gets to his feet. He walks behind me, flicking a lock over one of my shoulders. Taking his place opposite me, he examines my look. The rest of the table is deadly quiet.
"Tomorrow morning I can neaten it up at the back if you want," he concludes, fingers and hands held together in prayer on the table. "But it's certainly a striking look."

The meal is a selection of carefully chosen and cooked dishes. A thin, watery soup is followed by a salad of small rounds grains and red, juicy seeds. A gamey piece of meat is served with yet more red wine in the form of a sauce makes the head feel even heavier. Tiny peas and an unknown bean salad is followed by crumbly cheeses. I sniff the cheese before pushing my plate away from me.
"Don't like goats' cheese?" Lyam asks, taking it from my plate.
"I do, just only when it's from Lady," he raises his eyebrows. "My goat," I clarify.
"Ah. I always wanted a goat," he muses, "they're very helpful creatures. But instead I got the Hunger Games," he raises his empty glass. The light from the modern chandelier shines through it, illuminating the dried dregs of red wine, "may the odds be ever in our favour," I knock my glass against his and soon everyone is clinking glasses.
"We could work well together," I offer.
"Allies?" I think about it.
"At what point would we go our separate ways?"
"5 people left, if we make it til then?" A smile plays at the corner of his mouth. My mind swirls but catches sharply on this small detail.
"5 is a good number. Let's be allies," I answer, smiling back.
"Excellent," Haymitch bellows, far too loudly, in my ear. "Just don't be another pair of star crossed lovers. The audience won't buy it," I make eye contact with Katniss, a smile stretched across my face. And for the first time since we arrived her, she smiles back. My head pounds but that smile makes me feel so alive. All I want to do is make her proud.