Chapter 5

When they do, we step onto the train. Lyam drops my hand and I step further into the carriage. Katniss described it perfectly. She disappears off to her room as Effie instructs me that she'll call me for dinner. One of the avoxes shows me to my room. A numbness consumes my mind and I work on autopilot, peeling off the outfit and folding it slowly, meticulously. I take a shower, making it as icy as possible, to try and wake myself up from this nightmare. After a while I give in and turn it to hot. I stand under the running water, hugging myself, my eyes closed. I only open them when Effie arrives to escort me to dinner. I tell her to go on without me and turn off the shower. I go into the dressing room and pick out a simple outfit. A loose fitting blouse and matching blue trousers. I tie my damp hair back with a blue ribbon and go into the dining room. It has high panelled walls and a table set out with expensive, fragile crockery. I sit opposite Lyam who is already discussing tactics with Peeta. Haymitch appears shortly after I do but Katniss' seat next to Peeta remains empty.
"Hey," I say, interrupting Peeta. "Please don't talk tactics without me. I plan on staying alive for a little longer," Peeta and Lyam nod.
"We were just talking about what to do at the cornocopia," Lyam explains.
"Grab what you can and run, is my suggestion," Peeta says with a smile.
"And try to stay alive, sweetheart," Haymitch calls from the drink stand pouring himself a double shot of a clear, white liquid.
"Hey! You promised you wouldn't touch that stuff. You need to help us keep them alive," Peeta scolds. Haymitch downs the drink and rubs the back of his hand across his mouth before taking his seat between Effie and me. The meal comes and goes quickly, tactics being exchanged and rich courses being shovelled down in an attempt to gain weight before the Arena. Peeta and Lyam dominate the conversation while I listen intently. Effie is silent until the end of the meal as we are about to gather to watch the other Reapings when she offers to go and call Katniss. They arrive soon after.

We watch as name after name is called. The Tributes from 1 and 2 are nothing special: big, tall and oozing power. The girl from 5 makes Katniss' face go pale and she looks like she's going to throw up. I notice that a lot of the Tributes are in their late teens. The boys from 10 and 11 look like fighters, the guy from 10 especially. He walks onto the stage and is at least a foot taller than the escort. He has very dark hair and is built like a Victor. Then there's our Reaping. What I hadn't heard before however, were the angry whispers that had followed me onto the stage. No one wanted to see the Mockingjay's sister in the Games. No one wanted to ever have to watch another Games again. But, unfortunately, everyone's nightmares have come true.