Chapter 12

Lunch is served buffet style in a grey room that seems too large. Tables are scattered in the centre, twenty or so of them, while carts piled high with food line the walls. As I dollop a mound of sticky rice onto my plate, I notice how at least three groups have formed. The Tributes from 1 and 2 have formed a Career pack as well as the boy from 6. He laughs along with them as if they are all old friends. The guy from 10 spears two fish with the serving fork before seating himself with two others. I recognise one of the others as the brute from 11 but I can't place the other. He must be from one of the middle Districts. I find a table and watch the other alliance. The girl with shocking red hair is talking quietly to a group of four others. They're all older than me but they look scared as they whisper amongst themselves. The girl is the obvious leader of the group but that seems to have been predetermined by the other four obviously being two couples. I wonder if the Games brought them together.

Lyam excels with all blades and is amazing at hand to hand combat. The instructor gives him a pair of knuckle dusters with blades attached to the sides to try on one of the dummies. He rips it to shreds. While he practices work with a sickle on day 2, I revive my knowledge of healing. The instructor compliments my thoroughness, even going as far as suggesting it as my showcase skill. The guy from the agility course joins me at the station but he knows next to nothing about treatment.
"Can I borrow your hand for a sec?" He asks.
"Um... Ok," I hold out my right hand. He starts wrapping a bandage around it. "Stop," I unravel the bandage. "This is how it should be done," I wrap up his hand, acting as if he has hurt his palm. He then wraps up my hand with some guidance from me. "Perfect," I declare. He flashes me a grin and I feel myself blush.
"I'm Jasper by the way," he says, kissing my bandaged hand. "And you must be the infamous Primrose,"
"How'd you-" I start.
"Darling, you're everything that anyone who is anyone has been talking about since the Games were announced," his voice mimics that of his escort, a short man with deep blue hair and fluorescent pink irises.  "Everyone knew you'd be here," I take a step back, startled by this revelation.
"Everyone except me, apparently," I whisper. He looks at me sadly.
"The Reaping was rigged. You were predestined to go into these Games," he whispers, looking genuinely sorry. I'd suspected it since these Games were announced. It was all just a way for Coin to get back at Katniss. "Let's cheer you up," he leads me over to the hunting and fishing station where we are later joined by Lyam.

"D'you know what you're gonna do in your private sessions tomorrow?" Peeta asks.
"Some hand to hand stuff then maybe a bit of work with a sickle," Lyam responds.
"Healing's my main skill," I murmur.
"I'm sure you could fix someone up," replies Peeta. "I'll talk to Haymitch about it. If he ever turns up, that is," we all start eating the thick, orange soup in front of us. By the time Effie, Haymitch and Katniss arrive, it has gone cold and gelatinous. Effie puts a box next to my knife before taking her place between Haymitch and Lyam. I tuck the box into my pocket before continuing to eat.

"You made a real impression today," Haymitch tells me. The plates have been cleared away and he's taking small sips of coffee; it appears too hot for him as he winces as it hits his tongue.
"In what way?"
"I was talking to the other mentors. A lot of alliances are being formed," he pauses and takes a long, noisy slurp of his coffee. "Oh, and the boy from 3 wants to make an alliance with you and Lyam. His name's Jasper I believe and he was apparently very persistent on the matter," I look over to Lyam.
"What do you think?"
"I've seen his work with a sickle; he's better than I am. He's also quick, so he won't slow us down," he answers matter-of-factly.
"I'll take that as a yes then," I nod to Haymitch who is downing the dregs of his coffee and scolding his throat.