Chapter 1

Just under 2 years after when the Quell would have been (2 and a half years after Katniss' meeting with Coin and Snow):

Prim:

The TV flickers to life, displaying an ad for a woman's deodorant. The woman, who is playing the role of a heart-broken princess who gets turned down because she smells so  bad, is slim with brightly fake-tanned skin and curly bleached-blond hair. She wears an outrageous poppy-shaped dress and it looks as if she is coming out of it. Katniss creeps into the room just as the commercial ends and takes off father's hunting jacket before squeezing in between mother and me. Buttercup hisses from my side but I stroke him calmingly and he begins to purr. Katniss is spending more and more time in the woods, which is understandable because of the electric fence being taken down but we no longer need the food. I look down at my hands, ashamed that I'm questioning her actions. I just worry about her. Ever since the announcement about the Quarter Quell and Coin being President, she's been on edge. She sleeps on the sofa, worried about missing an important message during the night. Peeta often stays round, sometimes staying the night. He worries about her more than any of us do.

President Coin appears on the screen, her grey curtain of hair falling like a solid waterfall.
"Hello, Panem," she greets, addressing the country in which we live. "For 2 years now, our country has prospered under the guidance of peace and justice. However," she pauses for emphasis, "the Quarter Quell that didn't take place just under 2 years ago did not have enough closure to it." Katniss tenses next to me and I put my hand on her knee. "The council and I have been talking and we have made a decision. To give closure to the barbaric events previously know as the Hunger Games, there will be a final Games in 2 months time. It will be the Game to End all Games." she smiles tightly and disappears. Katniss shakes her head in disbelief and leaves. But I'm the one in trouble.