Chapter 15

Another big, big, big day lies ahead of us as I am reminded by the shrill exclamations that break my surprisingly peaceful sleep. I roll over, still half asleep, and collide with the firm body of Lyam. He is still asleep, his back turned away from me, rising and falling slowly with his deep breaths. I allow my eyes to follow the lines his shoulder muscles have carved into his spine. A series of lines slash across his back. I touch them lightly and trace as they make their way lower and lower until the covers stop them. The rhythm of his breathing changes and I remove my fingers. Smiling, he turns to face me.
"You've got cold fingers," he remarks, taking both of my hands in his. I blush.
"Poor circulation," I explain. "What are the marks on your back?" I ask gently, too curious for my own good. Inhaling deeply, he averts his eyes.
"My dad used to beat me," he whispers after a minute. "Most days after he got back from work in the mines. It got so bad that mum had to sell her remaining jewellery to get me a doctor's appointment. My dad disappeared two years ago. We haven't seen him since," I stroke his hair, running my fingers through the dark waves.
"I'm sorry," I say, knowing that nothing I can really say will help.
"It's ok," he responds. "I don't miss him as such but everything has been different since he's been gone."
"I can understand that," he looks up at me, his eyes glistening slightly. "I lost my dad in a mine explosion. I don't really remember him because it happened when I was eight. But it still feels like there's something missing from home; even now," he sits himself up and pulls me tight against his warm skin. I bury my head into his shoulder and breathe in deeply. The smell of oranges is almost overpowering but more scents creep in. Rosemary and the homely smell of smoke make a lump form in my throat. I close my eyes and try to forget where I am. Hands run through my hair and the arm around my waist keeps me encased in his warmth.

Despite the warmth of the human radiator I am hugging, goosebumps start to appear on my exposed forearms. I don't know how long we stay this way but we only pull apart when a series of firm knocks nearly break my door from its hinges.
"Get up!" A slightly slurred voice bellows. "You have work to do," Lyam pulls away slightly but still holds my arms.
"I should probably go," he murmurs, a smile playing at the corner of his lips. I want to kiss him but my natural shyness stops me so I just blush and nod. He leans forwards quickly and plants a kiss on my forehead and leaves before I have time to register what just happened.

Stomach growling, I take my seat at the empty table. I eat my way through a mountain of food, burping numerous times as the food slowly settles in my stomach. An Avox offers me more orange juice which I eagerly accept. Katniss slides into the dining room, glowing, and kisses my forehead in the same place as Lyam.
"Meet Effie in her room once you're done, you'll be there until lunch," she tells me before bouncing off to the elevator.

Effie's room is surprisingly similar to my own. Plain with grey walls and a large bed taking pride of place. Few personal touches are obvious; a filled picture frame on her bedside table and a delicate, engraved wooden box on her vanity. The wardrobe is, however, much larger than my own; four doors interspersed with full length mirrors. Effie starts talking and I listen as she explains the point of the meeting. She selects an ankle length gown (ankle length on her but floor length on me) and forces me into it. The material is partially see-through around the bust and I feel overly exposed as it hangs like a clear blue sheen of glass on my slight frame. She pairs it with silver high heels and watches me as I wobble around in them. But after a few moments, I'm not so precarious and I don't feel like I'm going to break my ankles. The dress snags a few times in the heels which bothers me. I try to disentangle it but the gauzy fabric tears loudly. Effie squeals and decides to stop getting me to cat walk. So we move onto what I'll be doing during the interview apart from talking. Which to me seems a bit ridiculous. But as it turns out there are multiple things that I need to do at once, including being engaging for the audience. Effie adjusts my posture, tells me not to cross my legs and teaches me small simple actions to make me feel even more stupid. The hours trail by until we are called for lunch. Effie nods at me approvingly as I relax my shoulders and smile sweetly at her. I guess she's not so unlikable once you get to understand her.

The heavily pollinated air gets trapped in my lungs, forcing me to cough. The potted plants brush gently against each other in the barely detectable breeze. Haymitch walks onto the roof and for once he doesn't stink of spirits. Taking a seat next to Peeta, he looks me straight in the eye.
"Well, sweetheart," he simpers. "Are you going to be any more cooperative than your sister?" I hold his gaze, unsure as to how to reply. I wish Katniss were here instead of him. But she's resting in her room after projectile vomiting over the sofas and mahogany table after lunch.
"So," Peeta says, rubbing his hands together. "Do you have an angle in mind?" I stare at him blankly. "I'll take that as a no-"
"Just answer our questions and we'll see where to go from there," Haymitch interjects. They ask a barrage of stupid questions which I answer simply and quietly. Haymitch cuts me off describing Buttercup and suggests that I try to be more snobbish. It doesn't work; I don't have the confidence to be snobby. And that rules out confident and we don't even mention trying arrogant. We try every personality they can think of. Insane. Aloof. Sly. Intelligent. None work. I'm not sexy enough for charming nor do I have the humour to be witty. In the end, we settle for quiet and thoughtful. We continue practising questions and jokes until Lyam is sent to get us for dinner as the sun slowly starts it's descent.