Chapter 6

Effie disappears soon after the anthem ends, complaining about a headache. Lyam also leaves soon after, followed by Katniss. Peeta smiles at me and moves marginally closer on the sofa.
"What's wrong with Katniss?" I ask even though I know the answer.
"She's distressed and broken about the fact you're in the Games," he replies, his hands twitching slightly. There is nothing that I can say that will ease the pain that I know he is feeling for her. "She has only ever tried to protect you from them and yet here you are."
"Why did she look like she was going to throw up when she saw the girl from 5?" I question, my curiosity getting the better of me.
"She looks a lot like the girl from 5 from our year," he explains, rising and moving slightly towards the door. "Katniss nicknamed her Foxface. I don't even know her real name," he looks guiltily at his hands before leaving.

I click the TV back on because the quiet is too intense. A Capitol psychologist is scrutinizing our movements and especially enjoys District 12. Katniss' reaction and my unheard words are twisted and manipulated to make us seem weak. I watch as he dissects the boy from 10. He says that it's all an act, that beneath his tough exterior he's trembling inside.
"Can't sleep?" it's more of a statement than a question and it sounds tired.
"No, I guess it's just too much to take in at the moment. And I don't trust going to sleep," there is the sound of feet moving, muffled by the thick burgundy carpet.
"Why don't you trust sleep?"
"I phrased it badly, I don't trust myself when I go to sleep. I have nightmares and they'll probably be awful now that I'm basically living my worst nightmare."
"How do you normally control them?"
"My cat helps me. Or I snuggle in with my mum."
"A cat that protects you from nightmares. I need to get one for..." the pause hangs in the air for a moment too long.
"His name's Buttercup. He's a mangy old thing but I love him to bits," I stop and remember when I brought him home. Smiling sadly, I let the memories wash over me like a warming wave that's only purpose is to make me feel safe. I yawn widely, raising my arms above my head and stretch.
"I think I'm gonna go and sleep. Goodnight," I smile shyly at Lyam. Strange how I recognised his voice straight away. He gets up and embraces me quickly before leaving. I lock my door and slide between the silk sheets and slip soundlessly into a deep sleep riddled with nightmares of what is to come. But after a while, I slip into darkness and ride on a sea of nothingness.