Chapter 7

I wake up slowly, as the rocking of the train gradually dies away. I change into some tight trousers and a short sleeved white top. I find my way to the train door and step onto the platform. The long stretch of grey concrete folds away from me. At random intervals, weeds have forced their way between cracks. Dandelion flowers pop out, golden and shining, like the sun that beats down weakly on this almost peaceful scene. I pick one of the heads and blow the seeds. They scatter, getting caught and trapped by the wind. I take a deep breath and the smell of salt and seaweed fills my nostrils. We must be in 4. Effie bounds onto the platform, her sunny yellow heels clicking on the cracked concrete.
"Primrose," she calls in her silly accent. "We've got a big, big, big day ahead of us," I follow her into the dining room where a selection of unknown food awaits us. I discard the cup of coffee that Effie offers me and chug down the orange juice instead. I help myself to an apple and some of the sweeter pastries but don't gorge myself like last night.
"You should eat more, Prim," Peeta advises. I get up and leave the table, unable to be around them for any longer, and take a sweet, jammy pastry with me. I go to my room and watch from my window as the water turns to houses which in turn changes to factories. And then the Capitol comes into view, the glistening cherry of the whole of Panem. The view disappears swiftly as we enter the tunnel that is taking us one step closer to our doom. Everything is going so fast and I just want to take a step back from reality and breathe. I sit under the window as the patch of light appears on the opposite wall, knowing that we have arrived.