Chapter 14

The plush sofas swallow us as we sink into their soft arms. The TV automatically comes to life and we watch as Caesar Flickerman introduces each of the tributes before revealing their scores. Those with the highest scores often get sponsors but that secures nothing when the Games actually happen. The bear from 2 gets a 10 but his counterpart surprisingly only gets a 6. The careers tend to get between 8 and 10, however, after seeing her in training I'm not totally surprised. I heard someone call her Lucky and that's what she'll be if she makes it through the Bloodbath. Jasper secures himself a 9, equalling the boy from 1. The scores keep coming, very high for the majority. The boys from 10 and 11 get the highest with 11 each. I make a mental note so stay way clear of them in the Arena. Lyam's face flashes onto the screen and an 8 follows him.
"That's excellent!" Everyone's calling but my eyes stay riveted to the screen.
"And last but by no means least, our dear little Prim," Caesar chirps. "Well, let's not rule her out with a...7!" Everyone's cheering. A 7 and an 8!
"We can work with that," Katniss offers, giving me a tight hug.

Cinna and Portia disappear after the scores, whispering to each other as they leave. In 2 nights time it'll be the interviews. The impression that I make could mean the difference between getting gifts or not, and ultimately life or death. I curl up in the corner of the velvety purple sofa, drowning out the noises of the others. Glasses knocking against each other, strategies being exchanged and a loud thump as Haymitch collapses. But soon the noises due away naturally. I open my eyes, not having noticed that I'd closed the, to watch Lyam writing in a small leather notebook. Unaware that he's being watched, he sucks on the end of his pencil before continuing to scrawl rapidly.
"What are you writing?" His head jerks up swiftly.
"I thought you were asleep," he explains. "Katniss and I were just brainstorming what some of the special features might be,"
"Come up with anything good?" He slides next to me and offers me the notebook.
"There'll be mutts of some kind for sure," he says, pointing to "mutts" underlined on the page. "But everything else is just guess work. We have no idea what the Arena is so they could throw almost anything at us," I scan through the list, becoming increasingly aware that these are the possibilities that could kill us.
"Not the most pleasant thing to be thinking about, is it?" I point out.
"No, but it's better to think about it so it might not be as much of a surprise if they do throw it at us,"
"I suppose," I say through a yawn. He gives me a quick smile and tucks a stray strand of hair behind my ear.
"The Arena is going to be something totally different to the normal, it'll probably have elements of nature but I expect the main part to be unnatural," he flicks back a couple of pages and shows me. The words "cave", "floating" and "underwater" jump out at me. In three day time we'll either be in one of those or potentially worse.
"I'm gonna have nightmares now,"
"Want me to be there?" I think about the offer. In 3 days I could be dead. And it wouldn't be a lie to say that I had been craving contact.
"Yeah, ok," I reply, getting up and stretching my arms above my head. "Just let me get changed first,"