Chapter 17

A gaggle of talking Tributes stand waiting for the interviews to begin. The Careers laugh jovially amongst themselves as they sit on the steps up to the stage. I slip my black shoes off and lean against the wall. The different groups are clearly visible. There are three groups excluding mine and the boisterous Careers. The red-headed leader bites her nails while awkwardly fifth wheeling the two couples who are preoccupied with their own, separate conversations. The third group of five (the first being that of the Careers) is sat off to one side. The two tributes from District four have joined forces with three of the younger tributes. I watched them a lot in training. The eldest can't be any older than thirteen. It makes my heart sink to see them looking so fragile and lost. They don't stand a chance. Especially not with so many older, stronger rivals, who could easily kill them without batting an eyelid. I shiver.
"Cold?" The voice makes me jump.
"It is a bit," I lie, feeling my cheeks burn up.
"You checking us out?" Grins Jasper. And it's true, they look truly handsome in their tuxes.
"You scrub up well," I acknowledge. Lyam is dressed in a jade green suit with a matching tie. On his right, wearing a pearly white suit and trousers to contrast his charcoal black shirt and ashy skin, is Jasper. They both smile happily and, while I smile back at them, a small lump of sadness clogs up my throat.

An assistant with an earpiece brushes past me in an organised hurry. She stands on the second step and, glaring over us, commands our attention.
"Please stand in district order with the females before the males. The show will begin in two minutes," her eyes sweep over us and then she vanishes behind on of the hanging drapes. Jasper wishes us both good luck. But just before he goes to find his District partner, he leans down and kisses me lightly on the cheek. Lyam inhales sharply but doesn't mention the surprising display of affection.
"Good luck, Prim," he says instead and rests and hand on my shoulder which he squeezes.
"You too," the line starts to move up the steps and onto the stage. I take a deep breath as the giant in front of me ascends. I follow and take my seat.

Let the interviews begin.