Chapter forty-three

Harry and Bree didn't know what it was. If it was some kind of miracle, or maybe destiny finally working on their side, but a few hours after they get back to the hospital, Adeline woke up. The doctor didn't allowed them to talk to her right way, saying he had to run a few exams before, just to make sure everything was okay. But it was still a huge relief for all of them. Especially for Harry. At least he knew he could leave, because Adeline was awake. She may not be at her best, but she was alive. And that was more than enough.

The siblings had finally stop crying. Jessie told them they should probably go get something to eat, and they all agreed. The doctors said that the exams would take a little while, so they had time to go down to the cafeteria and order something. When they were finally back on Adeline's floor, the doctor walked to them with a serious expression on his face.

"How's my mom?" Jay asked eagerly. He just wanted to hear that everything was okay with her.

"Well, she's awake and in a wonderful mood." the doctor smiled, making them smile too. "But I've got some bad news."

"What's wrong, doctor?" Bree asked, making the tired looking doctor sigh.

"We're still not sure what happened, but when Adeline fell she hit her head pretty hard. And with her condition, that's a serious thing." he explained. "She will definitely lose a lot of mobility. Probably won't be able to walk at all for a while."

"What? But why?" Jay asked with wide eyes.

"She suffered a concussion." the doctor said.

"That's not serious. Kids suffer concussions all the time, right?" Jay laughed nervously.

"In your mom's case it's a little different." the doctor said. "Since she was already very weak, when she fell she seriously damaged her spine. And she isn't reacting to any of exams our doctors have been making. Right now, she doesn't feel her legs. But this can change with time. It's just not guaranteed."

Everyone went quiet. Bree closed her eyes tightly and took a deep breath. Wasn't it enough that her mom was sick for years? Almost unable to do everything? Now she wouldn't be able to walk to? What the hell was life doing to her? Why was it being so bad particularly on her mom?

Jay was crying again. All of that situation was taking a load on him, he could barely stand. He felt weak, his entire body was aching, his eyes were burning and his lips felt dry. He could barely breathe too. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. It was bad enough to see her mom in what seemed to be her normal condition for the past few years, and now this. When were things going to stop?

"You can go see her now, if you want to. Just one at a time, please." the doctor said. "She's still very tired."

Bree and Harry nodded at the doctor as Jessie was trying to comfort Jay. It hurt her so much to see him like that. When she met him, he was such a happy guy, always joking about everything. That was what made her fall in love with him. And now, that beautiful smile of his seemed to have vanished. She kissed his forehead sweetly, standing up from her sitting position next to him and walking to Bree.

"You should go see her first. Jay needs to calm down before he goes in." Jessie said, almost in a whisper. "I know that Adeline would hate to see him like this."

"Yeah, you're right Jess." Bree nodded her head. "Do you think you can handle him?"

"Of course, don't worry about it."

They smiled at each other before Bree started walking down the white corridor, with Harry by her side. He decided to take her hand, making her look up at him and smile. He kissed her forehead quickly and they both walked to her mom's room.

Adeline was in her usual good mood, not letting anyone know trully how she was feeling. She told them she was fine and that everything would be fine, but they knew that probably wasn't true. Either way, Bree decided to not push it and change subjects. Adeline started asking her about London, about what she had seen and everything else. She ended up telling Harry that she had seen his fight and that she loved seeing him win, which made him smile widely and thank her.

***

Friday came up sooner than they all expected. Adeline was leaving the hospital in the morning, and Harry had to leave at the end of the day. So, that would definitely be a very stressful day for Bree. Her and Harry had already prepared and improvised bedroom for Adeline downstairs, since she wouldn't be able to go upstairs anytime soon. They would also spend a lot of time on the backyard, looking at the stars and talking or just simply being together. Bree couldn't believe that he had to leave. But worst than that was the fact that she was supposed to be going with him, but she couldn't anymore. That made her silently cry at night when Harry was asleep or while she was in the shower. She didn't want him to be concerned about her. But she also knew that she would miss him, especially because of the new circumstances of her life.

"Is everything ready?" she asked when she got up to her room and saw him closing his suitcase.

"Yeah, everything's done." he softly smiled.

He wasn't too happy to be leaving, especially because he knew Bree would need every help she could get. But he also couldn't deny that he was so excited to actually go back to his usual routine. He loved his job. And yes, Dan could be a pain in the ass sometimes, and he would definitely say a lot of hurtful things to him, but he still loved to fight. The only thing he probably loved more than his job, was the beautiful girl standing in front of him with a sad look on her face. And hell, he wished he could take all that sadness and hurt from her, but he knew he couldn't.

"Are you gonna miss me?" he asked, grabbing her by her waist and pushing her to him. She smiled sadly.

"You know I will."

That made him smile widely. Damn, he wished he could just take her and leave, just the two of them. That would definitely make him happy. He would make sure she would get everything she ever desired and he would do anything to make her happy. It would be perfect. But life isn't perfect. In fact, life was being a hell of bitch to them, especially to Bree and her family.

"I'm gonna miss you so much..." he whispered, taking a strand of her hair and putting it behind her ear. "I'm gonna miss seeing that beautiful face of yours every morning."

"Please stop, you'll make me cry." she pouted. Harry kissed her pursed lips and smiled.

"You don't need to cry, baby. I'll be back before you notice I was gone." he promised. "Plus, I'll facetime you everyday. It's gonna be fine." he hugged her tightly against his chest.

"I really hope so..." Bree whispered.

______________________________________________________________________________

A.N.: Don't forget to vote and comment xoxo

Edited