Chapter twenty-three

Bree was running trough the huge hospital corridors, pushing everyone who got in her way, not caring about anything else than to get to the front door and see her mom. The huge glass front doors opened and two of her fellow nurses and one doctor got in, pushing the stretcher where Adeline was laying, oxygen mask over her pale face.

"What happened?" Bree asked the nurses, unable to hold the tears in.

"We don't know yet. But we are suspicious that it was a kidney failure." The nurse said. The other nurse and the doctor kept pushing Adeline to the nearest operation room, but the nurse who was talking to Bree, Anna, grabbed her shoulders and stopped her. "I know she's your mom, and I have no idea of what you're feeling right now, but you have to trust us. We'll do the best we can."

"I can go in, to the operation room. I can help." Bree tried to argue but Anna shook her head.

"You're not emotionally stable right now to get in the operation room. We'll take care of her." She reassured her. "And, you have someone here to see you." She smiled and stepped away, letting Harry come in sight. Bree walked to him as Anna ran to the operation room.

"Bree, I'm so sorry..." Harry tried to say but Bree interrupted him.

"Why are you here? The paparazzi will find you!" her tone was a concerned one, but Harry wasn't even thinking about that. He didn't even care if they find him, he just wanted to be with her and comfort her in such a difficult time.

"I honestly don't care about any of that." He caressed her check softly, making her close her eyes. "I just want to make sure you're okay."

"Thank you!" she whispered.

"What for?"

"For being here, for calling the 999 when you saw something was wrong with her. For being there, in general."

"You don't have to thank me for anything, love."

"Bree!" someone called behind the green-eyed boy.

"I called Jay too." Harry whispered and Bree smiled a little, running to her brother and hugging him tightly.

"What happened to her? Is she okay?" Jay was already crying when he got to the hospital and that broke Bree's heart.

"She'll be okay, Jay." She hugged him even tighter, if that was even possible, and whispered in his ear. "Please don't cry."

The wait was long and dreadful. Jay was pacing from one side to the other and Bree was sitting on a chair next to Harry, desperately stomping her foot on the ground. They were waiting for news for about an hour, when someone walked to them.

"Jay?" the person called.

The boy stopped pacing and looked at the person whose voice he knew so well. He was shocked when he saw her, mouth hanging open and eyes opened wide. Bree looked up too.

"Jessie?" she said, getting up to go hug her friend. "What are you doing here?"

"I heard what happened with Adeline, I came to make sure everything was okay." She said simply. "How is she?"

"She's still in the operation room. We don't have any news yet." Bree answered sadly.

"Oh..." the blonde-haired girl looked back, to her long-lost love. Bree noticed the look she was sending her brother and smiled.

"You two should talk."

"I'm not sure he wants to..."

"I know he does." Bree reassured her. Jessie just nodded and walked to Jay carefully, not wanting to push it.

"Can we talk?" she asked. Jay took a while before he finally looked her in the eyes, but when he did, he didn't say anything. Instead, he hugged her tight and broke down in tears again. "It's okay, she'll be okay..." the girl whispered in his ear, trying to calm him down.

"I missed you..." he whispered back, after a few minutes. Jessie just nodded so he kept going. "You have no idea how bad I missed you and how much I regret letting you go. I'm such an idiot..."

"Shhh, calm down. We can talk about that later."

Jay nodded his head and kissed her forehead lovingly. Bree smiled a little. It was wonderful for her to see those two together. Especially in that moment, when Jay needed her the most.

"Do you want me to go get some coffee?" Harry asked and Bree just nodded and smiled softly.

He got up from where he was sitting and walked to the vending machine. He decided it was best to take a few snacks too, in case someone was hungry since it was already lunch time and none of them had eaten anything. As he was trying to chose what he should get, his phone started vibrating in his pocket. When he saw it was Dan calling him, he ignored it and putted his phone back into his jacket pocket.

"It's rude to ignore someone like that." Someone said behind him. Harry closed his eyes and took a deep breath before turning around. He knew exactly who was talking to him and that was Dan himself.

"Dan." He said dryly.

"Why so rude, Styles? Are you in a bad mood?" he mocked.

"I am now." He clenched his teeth. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"You didn't answer any of my calls, so I had to come see you in person." He smirked.

"How did you know I was here?"

"I don't know if you've noticed my friend, but you are the best boxer in all England." He mocked again, making Harry roll his eyes. "Someone saw you coming in and they warned the press. The front door is packed with paparazzi right now."

"Okay, so why are you here? Did you come here just to piss me off?" he could feel his blood boiling inside his veins. That was the kind of power Dan had over Harry. Sometimes he even thought that that was what made him win so many matches. He wanted to punch Dan in the face, but instead he took his frustrations out on his opponents.

"I came here because I think it's enough of this pretend life you're living. It's time to go back to reality."

"You mean back to the fights." Harry spat. "And I'm not living a pretend life, I'm living my life."

"Oh Harry, come on. All this you're living, this isn't real. Your life isn't here. And it's enough of this bullshit." He spat back. "You have a match in three weeks, in London. You've stopped for over a month, you must get back in shape. You can't lose this, or people will begin to think you've gone soft."

"I don't need you to tell what I have to do. I'm a grown ass man."

"Then act like one." Dan pointed a finger at Harry, his forehead vein popping out as he spoke. "You have responsibilities and you know that. So, when you're ready to get back from fairytale land, you know where to find me." And just like that he turned around and left, leaving behind a very angry and frustrated Harry.

He knew he had responsibilities, he knew he had to go back to practice and to the fights. But this new life he was living, this temporary life, was something he never imagined it could be. This life was beautiful, calm and peaceful. He finally had time to think, and rest, and breath. He had time to take care of himself and live by his own rules and wants. And he had Bree. He didn't think he could leave her behind, not now. They were starting something, and he wanted her so bad already... He couldn't leave her, not yet. But what other choice did he have?

______________________________________________________________________________

A.N.: Don't forget to vote and comment xoxo

Edited