Chapter fifteen

On the hospital, everything was a mess still. There were police everywhere, asking questions to everyone. Bree was nervous. She was a terrible liar, she knew that if she lied to the police, they would notice.

She went to see Mrs. Jameson, helped her taking a shower, change clothes and even read a little to her. Those days were calm, there weren't many patients at the hospital and Bree was happy that she got to spend a little more time with the ones that were still there. Especially Mrs. Jameson, who was a very lonely woman. Her only son decided to move to Ireland a few years back and she lived by herself ever since. A few months back, one of her neighbors found her fallen on the floor. No one really knew what had happened, but she was on the hospital ever since.

"Okay, darling. You have to rest a little now, yeah?" Bree said.

"Can't you just stay for a little longer?" Mrs. Jameson asked.

"I have to go check Mr. Thomas. But I'll be back tomorrow, I promise."

Mrs. Jameson nodded softly and laid comfortably on her bed, turning on the tv. Once again, Harry's face was all over the channels. She stopped changing channels when she noticed a talk show. They were also talking about Harry, saying how weird that whole situation was. They showed a few pictures of him, some of his face, others of him fighting and even a few of him shirtless.

"Jesus, this man is a little piece of heaven." Mrs. Jameson said. "I would steal him too, only to keep him for myself."

Bree just laughed at the old lady laying on her hospital bed and drooling for the tv. It was funny to see the effect Harry had on women in general and in all different ages. But it wasn't that funny to feel that effect herself. Bree couldn't stop herself from looking at all those pictures on the tv and smile. He was gorgeous. His green eyes were piercing and looked right into her soul, and for some weird reason, she loved that. She loved the way he made her feel, the way he looked at her and the way he acted funny and always tried to make her laugh.

She was hurt though. Hurt because he couldn't think about anyone else but himself the night before. Hurt because he would rather spend the night having sex with her cousin other than spending the night with her. Hurt that she was convinced that he could never feel about her the same way she felt about him.

Bree said her goodbyes to Mrs. Jameson, who barely heard her, too distracted to even care. She closed the door behind her and walked to the room right across from hers, to Mr. Thomas. He was watching the exact same thing as Mrs. Jameson and Bree sighed. Even if she tried to get Harry out of her head, it was impossible because he was everywhere.

"Bree, my darling!" Mr. Thomas said. Bree smiled. "What a sad smile that is. Did something happen with your mother, sweetheart?"

"Well, she isn't that good but she's handling it." Bree answered.

"So what is stealing your beautiful smile out of those lips?" he asked. Bree just sighed. "Oh, I see."

"What?" Bree looked at him.

"It's a boy, isn't it?"

"How do you even..."

"I know everything, my darling." He smiled proudly. "I think you should hear mine and Darlene's story now. Do you have the time?"

"Sure thing, I do! I actually have about an hour before my shift's over and I'm all yours."

"Ms. Mason, if I was younger I sure as hell would make you all mine." Mr. Thomas said flirtily, making Bree laugh loudly.

"Don't be a rascal, Andrew." She said playfully.

"Just sit, darling." He said and Bree sat on the comfortable single couch that was right beside his bed. "Well, as you know I was married to that old, life-sucking witch." He started and Bree laughed again. "Don't laugh, darling. She made my life a living nightmare. I never felt love nor happiness when I was with her." He said sadly, making Bree look at him and nod. "She was a terrible person and my biggest regret was to marry her."

"I didn't know Mrs. Thomas was that bad..." she said softly.

"Oh, but she was. She was terrible!" he nodded and looked at her. "You know what my biggest mistake was, Bree?" she shook her head. "I let the love of my life go because my family couldn't accept her. I let her go and I married someone cold and empty, and that made my life miserable for 20 years. I felt free when she died." He nodded his head softly, looking blankly at the wall. "About a year ago though, I was at a bar drinking. By myself. I felt lonely. And suddenly, Darlene entered the place and it felt like my whole world lighted up when I saw her. Believe it or not, she was there for a date her daughter had set it up for her because she believed her mother was too lonely. And then she saw me, and everything I ever felt for her came crashing down on me hard. I don't know if she felt the same but when she saw me, she smiled, and it was like life made sense again."

Mr. Thomas was talking and smiling, making Bree smile too. It was beautiful to see him that happy and daydreaming about his new-old love. He looked truly happy.

"What happened next?" she asked curiously.

"She walked to me, forgot about her date and we talked for hours. I asked her for dinner and we're together ever since." He smiled at her. "I'm the happiest man alive, my love. That woman makes me wanna live, she makes me feel young again. She even convinced me to take those damn dance lessons that got me here." He laughed a little and Bree laughed too. "But trust me, Bree. Whatever you're going through with that boy, don't overthink it. Life has everything planned out for us. If it's meant for the two of you to be together, then you'll eventually find your way to each other. If not, it's better to let it go because it isn't meant to be."

He smiled warmly at her, a fatherly smile. Bree could feel the love Mr. Thomas felt for his Darlene and she could feel how much he cared about her by the way he was smiling and grabbing her hand. Bree had a strong bond to all her patients, but Mr. Thomas was like a grandfather to her. She wiped a single tear that managed to roll down her cheek and smiled back at him.

"Thank you for telling me your story." She said, looking down at their hands. "I really hope you're finally happy now."

"I am, darling. And so will you."

______________________________________________________________________________

A.N.: Don't forget to vote and comment xoxo

Edited