Chapter twenty-eight

Adeline was feeling more than fine. She wasn't as good as she was when she first tried the medicine she was taking, but she was feeling better than in the last few days. So, she decided to get out of bed. She was walking down the hall when she heard something in Jay's room, and she decided to go see what was happening. She stopped at the door, seeing Harry putting his stuff into his bag. She frowned and coughed a little, catching his attention.

"Hi!" he said, smiling at her. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine, dear." She answered. Harry walked to her and reached his hand out for her.

"Come sit in the bed." He said.

"I'm fine, really." She rolled her eyes. "Don't worry about me."

"I know you're fine, you look fine." Harry said as the gentleman he was, making Adeline smile. "But I would feel better if you just sat down as we talk."

"Okay. I'll sit and you'll tell me why you are packing your stuff." She said and he nodded.

Harry took Adeline's hand and lead her slowly to the bed, helping her sit down and sitting in his own bed, right in front of her. Adeline looked at him.

"Are you going to tell me why you're packing?" she asked finally.

"I have to go back to work." He answered. "I have a fight in London, and I have to go back to practice."

"You're leaving already? That's unfortunate." She said sadly. "Does Bree know about that already?"

"Yeah, she does." He nodded.

"I'm really sad that we didn't get to meet a little better." Adeline said and smiled a little to him. "From what I see, you are a great boy, Harry. You're a gentleman, you're educated, and you seem to really like my Bree."

"And I do, I really like her." He answered her truthfully. "I asked her to come with me, to London."

"You did? What did she tell you?" Adeline was suddenly less sad and more excited about what Harry had just told her.

"Yeah..." he smiled down at the floor. "She said she couldn't though."

"Oh..."

"I get it, she's got a lot to worry about here and I should know she would never leave her life here to go with me. It was stupid." He shook his head, looking down at the floor.

"No, it wasn't." Adeline cut him off, making him look up. "It was sweet and thoughtful. I really think Bree wants to go with you, and she should too."

"But you..." he tried to say, but she cut him off again.

"I'm fine." She sighed. "Plus, I'm a grown ass woman. I am Bree's mom but for years she's been acting like she's the mother. I hate it!"

"She's just trying to help you." He shrugged his shoulders.

"I know she is, honey. But she's also not living. I don't want my kids to take care of me for Lord knows how long. I want them to live and be happy. I want them to find someone who loves them. I want them to get married and have kids." Adeline was looking right into his green eyes, the tears threatening to fall from hers. "The best thing they can do for me is be happy. I don't want them to regret not taking chances when I'm gone."

"Don't say that..." Harry kneeled in front of her and held her hand. "You're a strong woman and you still have a lot to live. I'm sure you'll get to see your kids do all that."

"You're too kind, Harry." She smiled sadly at her, one tear rolling slowly down her cheek, but she hurriedly wiped it away. "Bree is going with you. I'll make sure that happens."

Bree got home after her lunch with Jay. She knew already what her brother thought about her going away for a whole week, but she still needed to listen to her mother. If she didn't feel comfortable or save with her being gone, she would stay. Her mom was really all that really mattered anyway.

"Hey mama!" she greeted, seeing Adeline sitting on the couch watching television. "What are you doing up?" she asked, kissing her cheek.

"I was tired to be in bed, and I wanted to watch television." Adeline patted the spot near her on the couch, telling her daughter to sit next to her.

"We could get a television to your room if you want to."

"Oh, no. It's not necessary, darling." Bree sat next to her and Adeline turned the sound of the TV off and turned to her daughter. "I think we need to talk."

"Actually, there's something I need to talk to you about too."

"About Harry asking you to go to London with him?" she smiled a little and Bree frowned her eyebrows.

"How do you know? Did Jay talk to you already?" she asked confused.

"Jay knows?" Adeline asked and Bree nodded. "Well, it wasn't him who told me though. It was Harry himself."

"Oh, he did?"

"Yes, he did." Adeline nodded again. "He's packing his things, and when I asked him why he was packing he told me everything." Bree kept silent, just listening to her mom. "He also told me that you refused to go with him."

"I didn't want to leave work and you..."

"What does your brother think about all this?"

"He told me I should go." Bree whispered. "But I'm not going if you don't feel comfortable with it."

"Oh, you're going." Adeline interrupted her. "I already told Harry."

"You did? Mama, why did you do that?" she asked, a little louder than she intended to.

"Because I want you to go. And make me a huge favor and have fun." She took her hand and smiled. "Harry is a good guy. And he's gorgeous too. You shouldn't let him go just like that to stay with old, boring mom."

"You're not..." Bree tried to speak but Adeline cut her off.

"Don't even try it!" she said and smiled after. "You should go pack. You're leaving tomorrow."

______________________________________________________________________________

A.N.: Don't forget to vote and comment xoxo

Edited