Chapter five

Dinner was good. Adeline decided to join them in the kitchen and when she met Harry, she couldn't stop pointing how handsome and polite he was. Harry would always smile and thank her for all the compliments.

Jay got out, right after dinner. He said he was meeting his new friend, Vanessa, the girl he had a date with the day before. Bree laughed. It was good to see him living his life instead of staying home all the time because of their mom, like he used to do. And like she always did.

Adeline went to the back door of the kitchen, that led to a small patio with a rocking chair. She loved to sit there and look at the starts. It made her feel alive and free. Bree leaned against the door and looked at her, Harry joining right after.

"I heard someone talk to your doctor about you today." Bree said, not taking her eyes of her mother.

"Really?" Harry looked at her and she nodded. "What were they saying?"

"The guy was really angry because your doctor let you leave." She finally looked up at him and only in that moment she realized how much taller he was than her.

"How was he? Did you see him?"

"Tall, bald, he was wearing a suit too." She described him the best she could. "I didn't take a real look at him but..."

"It's Dan!" Harry interrupted her. "He's my manager."

"He seemed pretty angry." Bree stated.

"I don't care." Harry walked back inside and sat at one of the counter chairs, Bree following him. "He promised me I could take a break after my last match, he said I could go on vacation. This is my break, and he needs to fucking respect my private time."

"Language!" Bree warned.

"Sorry." He let out a frustrated breath. They stayed quiet for a while until Harry spoke again. "I need to ask you something."

"Okay..." Bree nodded, sipping from the cup of tea she had in hands.

"I know I said I would only stay here for one night, but I need more time. I'm sorry to ask you this but if I go to a hotel right now, he won't leave me alone. No one can know where I am. Just for a few more days."

Bree thought about it for a while. Having Harry staying in her house changed nothing in her life apart from having someone sleeping on her sofa. And, truth be told, she enjoyed having someone she could talk to apart from her mom and brother.

"You can stay for as long as you need." She finally said and Harry genuinely smiled at her.

"Thank you so much. You have no idea how helpful you're being right now." Bree just smiled back at him. "I'll pay you though, I promise."

"You don't need to pay me. I'm just glad I'm helping."

"Absolutely not. I'll pay you and I'll help in whatever you need." He insisted. "I just need a quiet place to stay for a few days so I can actually rest and relax. And this seems like a good place for that."

"It's okay, Harry." Bree gave him a little smile.

Soon after, Bree had to go help her mom go to bed and she ended up going to bed herself, leaving Harry alone watching tv. Bree was tired. She would never admit it to anyone, but she was exhausted from all the shifts she took at the hospital. She was already asleep when Jay entered her room and shook her softly to wake her up.

"Jay? What's wrong?" she asked sleepily.

"It's Harry." He said. He sounded preoccupied.

"What about him?" Bree sat up as she rubbed her tired eyes.