Chapter Twenty-one

Start from the beginning

"Did your uncalled for behaviour in there have something to do with the favour you were talking about earlier?" She asked. I hear the anger building in her voice but I chose to ignore it.

"Uncalled for behaviour?" I asked raising my left eyebrow at her. She scoffed and crossed her arms.

"Yes, uncalled for. You should not have done that, it was very uncomfortable for me." She answered. The anger was clearly evident on her facial features.  "And don't evade my question."

I raised my hands in mock surrender while trying to hide smile. "I am so sorry Selena, you have no right to demand answers from me when you ran away from mine. "

She opens her mouth to speak but shut it again when she noticed me move closer to her. I probably scared her but I had to pull through or pull out and I was too desperate to go for the latter.

She fell silent when one of my hands instinctively moved to her brown hair that was tied in some extremely tight hairstyle. A bun I think. I pulled out a single pin and her hair spilled down her head to her shoulders and back.

My breath got hitched in my throat. I had been working with a beautiful woman all this time but I never saw. Well, I saw her but I really did not pay much attention to it.

I found myself leaning towards her, my hand still in her hair. I wanted to kiss her again, for no other hidden agenda of some sort but I stopped myself and let our foreheads touch instead.

I smiled when I caught her surprised eyes guiltily look away from my lips.
"It is not uncalled for if you also liked it. "

I wanted to smack myself really hard after I realized that I had just indirectly confessed that I liked it but I was not going to let that discourage me; I had to go on.

She blushed and looked down at her shoes as if they were the most fascinating items in the room. Lucky her, my attention was purely on her.

We both turned simultaneously to the sound of footsteps approaching. She wanted to move away but I stopped her from doing so by moving closer to her.

She seemed to have gotten the message but she still did not look at me. Ricardo appeared at the end of the hallway, wearing a black tuxedo and red bow tie.

He raised one his eyebrows but gave me a knowing look. "Sorry for any interruption but Asriel, we need to get going." He said.

"We will talk later." I said and walked away from her. I did not need to look back to know that her eyes were on me. If they were not, then my conscience was playing games with me.

Ricardo kept glancing at me as we walked silently down the hallway. That fact was annoying but I preferred his staring than his straight up unnecessary smartness. Ricardo was an intelligent man and he had no problem with showing it.

"Why did you choose Selena?" He finally asked, shattering my hopes of a nice quiet walk. "I think I know why but I need your clarity." He added.

I groaned inwardly and glanced in his direction. He was no longer looking at me but I could literally see the wheels in his head windings, pausing rewinding and connecting dots.

We knew each other too well. We grew up together- literally. Our fathers were already friends and we basically lived lived together after my mother ditched her family. His father Mariano sure us English kids learnt Spanish.

"Is Ataliah here?" I asked to change the topic. I was willing to talk about anything else but what I just did. Even if I had to hear him talk weirdly about my sister.

"Yes, she is in the hall where the party is being held." He answered after a pause. I was happy he took the bait but my joy was soon shattered when Asaiah came out of one of the rooms and  joined us.