Chapter Eight

**
We are the scientists, trying to make sense of the stars inside us.
-christopher Poindexter.

*****

Zoya's P.O.V.

The house was beautiful, last time I saw it was messy with broken pieces of all the possible stuff but today it was all neat and clean.

I couldn't smell the liquor as well unlike last time.
The broken chandelier I saw last time was now replaced with another similar one, held on its place.
Mehreen Bhabhi had left half an hour ago, Asad had come to see her off and as soon as she left, he went back in his room.

I was just sitting down on the sofa with my luggage, he didn't even show me my room.
I stared at the wall full of books, I loved reading and the bookshelf infront of me looked somewhat fascinating.

I stood up, going towards it.
Passing my hand through the spines of every book neatly and alphabetically arranged.
This wall looked like the one shown in beauty and the beast.
And I felt like belle.
Only difference was I came here knows my own.

"These books are supposed to be read not touched," I got startled at the voice behind me.
I turned around quickly to see him standing at the end of the staircase.
"I...i" i couldn't reply anything.
He came towards me, dismissing my sentence with his hand and handed me the paper.
I took the paper from him and read the topic written in bold and underlined with thick black ink.

Rules.

"What's this?" I asked.
He rolled his eyes taking a seat on the sofa and said nonchalantly," read it madam."

I sat on the sofa beside his, and started reading.
Rules?
For what?
Living with him?

The first rule was the amount of money I would have to pay him.
That wasn't any problem.

The amount was tiny compared to the salary I would be paid.
I went ahead to read the second rule.

2. The housemate won't be allowed to enter the owner's room without permission.

Why would I even enter his room?
I rolled my eyes at second rule and then read the third one.

3. The housemate will have to contribute in the cleaning and groceries.

Now here I will have to clarify.
I looked up to see him already staring at me.
"You need to clarify rule no.3."

He took the paper from me, reading the rule he then handed me back the paper and spoke," you can't eat the groceries that I buy, you will have to contribute as well and cleaning the house, we will put a day when you clean or vice versa? Because the maid only comes once a week. "

I nodded at his opinion.
But..

"But I don't know how to cook." I muttered.
Unsure of his reaction.

What if he doesn't know cooking as well?
What will we eat?

"You don't have worry about that, I know how to cook."
I released a breath of relief at his answer.
Alhamdulillah he knows cooking.
"I can help you with other chores in the kitchen."
He nodded and then pointed at the paper to let me finish the other remaining rules.

4. No bringing of any male unless family.

"No.4 should be applicable to both of us." I suggested.
I would never bring any male but he should also respect my privacy.

"Ok I won't bring any of my male friends without your permission except for Vinay." He stated.
I didn't...

"I didn't mean male friends, I meant you shouldn't be bringing any females in the house." I said.
"No way, why would I do that?" He asked a little irritated at my suggestion.

He passed his hand through his hair as I spoke," ofcourse Mehreen Bhabhi would be allowed she is family, females of the family will be allowed but not your hook-ups or girlfriend."

He stood up abruptly and spoke," you don't have to change any rule in this agreement, just fucking sign at the end and settle in."
I stood up standing infront of him and said," but I haven't finish reading it."
"Then why are you taking time? Just read it fast and then sign!" He spoke with his voice a little raised.

"What if there are some rules I don't want to follow?" I asked.
I couldn't raise my voice cause I never knew how to.
Rolling his eyes with irritation and then tugging at his hairs he spoke with anger," that's fucking your problem, the rules won't change, it's my house so only my rules will be applied."
I felt he wanted to say more but didn't instead stopped.
Pushing me aside, he headed towards the stairs and before entering his room he spoke," your room is at the end of this corridor," pointing towards his right.

I ignored him and continued reading the agreement.
Even though I had no option but I had to read before I sign so I know what am getting into.
I sat back on the sofa, clutching the paper when a sudden throbbing in my head made me hiss in pain.

Medicines!

I stood up, taking my luggage and heading towards my assigned room.
I need to first unpack, eat medicines then will read the agreement and sign.

I bet he could wait for few more hours.

***

It took me more than three hours arranging my room.
It was dirty with cobwebs and dust all over.
Luckily, the bed and dressing table were covered with polythene.
It was huge compared to my room back in orphanage.
I was happy to be on my own.
I was old enough to be on my own.
21years, I had to fulfil my dreams and fulfil the motive of moving away from the orphanage.

Eating my medicine, I started reading the agreement.
Hoping I won't find any of the rule that will make me uncomfortable.

********