41: Our Dystopic Soul

Start from the beginning

And there was Calissa who would often stare at me with disapproval.

After that hefty lie I so exaggeratedly and boldly spoke, ignoring the pulsating and protests of my heart, Calissa pulled me over to the side and chastised me for an hour or so.

I could only give her a smile painted with sadness as an answer.

Later after that, I tried to reason with her as she gave me hundreds of logic why it was bad and all I could answer was "I can't hurt mama. She won't be able to forgive herself this time."

It was hard enough me dealing with the reality that was heavy and full of anguish. I couldn't share the load with my mama. I would never make her suffer though this painful memory of mine.

I would kill me alive knowing that I was an irresponsible daughter, so much so that I let my burden load over my mother.

Summer was already here.

The warm, humid breeze blew, drying off the sweat forming over my forehead. I was standing on the balcony, reminiscing the past month, weighting down my gain and loss.

It was probably 4 PM, I had jolted awake from a bad dream and I couldn't sleep since then.

The sound of mama's soft snores made me smile. She was tired from all the chores probably and was taking a noon nap.

Calissa was out for the day and haven't been back since.

When my mama came to know about Calissa and our current situation in details, she offered Calissa a job, which didn't take me by surprise by the way. They bonded over food immediately and both of them claimed that no love is bigger than the love for food.

She wanted to take me away to London, along with Calissa, but backed up when both of us protested heavily.

I admit that this place wasn't the greatest to live in, but we had grown really attached to it and it's simple lifestyle.

And there was also the fear of that psychopath catching up to us.

Mama had successfully opened our new branch and it was flourishing. Although we didn't want to go back, somehow she managed to convince us to move to London when I will be at my seventh month.

This place was far shabbier than London, poverty stricken, but there were some catches to this place.

I liked the simple things about here.

Like how one could see the stars clearly due to the lack of light pollution, or how you could hear the birds chirping when it was morning....

Or how calming this place was.

"You should be asleep at the moment shouldn't you? Did you have a bad dream?" Calissa's voice jolted me awake from my reverie. I didn't notice her coming in.

I shook my head, looking at her. She seemed more composed than other days.

"And you think I will believe that?" She sighed taking a seat on the bamboo chair beside me. I closed my eyes, not really paying attention to her.

"How's the little one doing?"

I sighed and proceeded to take her hand and place it over my baby bump.

She snatched her hand from mine much to my shock. She too, looked taken aback.

"What was that?" I questioned.

"Uh-" She chuckled nervously, "I am not exactly clean you know- I have come from work and stuff...."

I frowned and eyed her disapprovingly, "Cally, you do not have to be 'clean' to touch the baby bump. Where did you get the idea from?"