16.2: The Heart that Beats in Sorrow

Read the previous chapter before this one.

Rose's POV:

I took a deep breath and wiped the tear away. A smile crept up on my lips, which turned into a giggle.

I was feeling happy, after a very long time.

Keeping the door ajar, I went back into the chamber and changed into a fresh set of cloth as fast as I could given the situation. An euphoric rush of energy engulfed my form, encouraging me to go along with my plan.

Taking a deep breath, I marched out of the door.

The lascivious surrounding greeted me. The mansion was adorned in peach, red and the slightest hint of gold. Even though, the nature themed light illuminated the whole hallway and the staircase, bathing it in it's yellowish hue, it still looked ethereal, something out of a movie set.

It was mostly empty, except for a maid working at the lobby. She seemed to dust the floor. I glanced around meticulously, hoping that no one would spot me with my fingers crossed.

Tiptoeing out of the chamber premises, I headed to the front staircase. I stopped when I came in front of the curtained gate that led to the main hallway.

From where I was standing, one could easily gauge the whole mansion. The spiral stairs ascended to the third floor. A gigantesque chandelier was visible in front of my eyes. I could also witness a female standing, giving the cleaners instructions.

The surreal beauty of the luxurious mansion was haunting yet it left a visible dent on my aesthetic senses.

Slowly, carefully, I made my way out of the hallway. I climbed up the stairs, trying not to get spotted. The last thing I wanted was more torture from that deranged monster.

The French themed mansion was eye-catching. I was squirming internally at it's beauty and massiveness.

The kitchen!

Even though I never visited the mansion, I knew that the kitchen was at the lobby. It was currently full of people from what I could make out from the sounds that were coming, so going there was out of the question.

Instead, I just climbed up the stairs to the second floor.

The second floor didn't hold anything particularly eye catching. It was empty. I kept walking through the hallway.

The hallway was lit up by candlelike lights. They gave off an ancient Roman castle vibe.

I shivered, both from the cold and the feeling of horror that was slowly creeping up my spine.

I felt like I could get lost in here, the hallway felt like a puzzle and it was like I could get stuck in the maze and never get out.

I wrapped my arms around myself. My hands and feet suddenly felt colder. It was like the temperature was gradually dropping.

The other side of the hallway seemed dark. No light was lit up there.

Are they hiding a monster there?

"Isn't Victor enough?" A voice whispered, answering my unasked query.

Clenching my toes tightly, I made my way to the core of the darkness.

A blanket of cold darkness permeated my form immediately, engulfing me and hiding me from the sienna lights.