24: One Last Time

"Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained."

― Jonathan Harnisch, Freak

Rose's POV:

My breath hitched as her words echoed into my ears.

"Wh-What did you say?" My voice was a hoarse whisper, almost mute even to my own ears.

She smiled at me, her eyes twinkled with tears, "Dear, you must loathe me now. I know I have done many wrongs, this is the least I can try to do for you. I want to help you escape, Rose. I want to help you with something I should've done ages ago."

I looked down at our hands and asked quietly, "Are you afraid of him, Lindy?"

A loud gulp from her answered my question.

"How funny..." I let out a small chuckle, "He has had no one to take care of him. You are the person that came closest to him, yet, you feared him. You treated him with fear when what he needed most is love....."

She looked down, her eyes swirling with guilt.

"It's pathetic really..." I retracted my hand, "His parents must have entrusted him with you, yet, you never showered him with love. Imagine what he must have been gone through when he had no one except for his disease..... My childhood wasn't the happiest, yet, my mom showered me with unconditional love that made me forget those vile memories. It's not like I have completely forgotten them, but, I lived like a normal human being...."

I glared at her, her head slouched in shame and regret.

"You are as much as a criminal as Marienne. Madame... It might sound bitter but it's the truth."

A loud sob escaped her as the words left my mouth. She looked up at me, her kind posture failing miserably.

"I didn't know what to do dear..." She choked out, "I didn't know how to control him.... He is diseased and I feared if I went near him, he will kill me..."

I felt anger at her, but then again I couldn't help but imagine how hard it must have been for her.

"So...." I drawled quietly, fidgeting with my fingers, "When are you helping me to escape?"

"You can go back to your home by a cab dear..." She brought out the black bag I had seen earlier, "It has pounds, air ticket and your medicines with the prescription. I have heard that you have your mom back at home, so, you can take her and leave. This is a ticket from London to Oxford They have pretty cheap homes there, so, you can live there without any hesitation."

"Wh-What-" I gulped, "What about Marienne?"

Her eyes welled up upon hearing his name, "He has gone into a coma dear. He survived a major fall but has had an internal brain hemorrhage.... He might have a stroke if he is not medicated properly..." She burst into a loud wail as she said this, her sadness touching me.

"Can I- see him?" The question was spoken out meekly, timidly. I felt like a failure for wanting to see my torturer for one last time.

She wiped away her tears as she nodded, "He is in a coma, sweet. It shouldn't be a problem. You should dress up and have something to eat. When the night falls, you will have to escape then. The manor has an emergency lift. You can escape from there. A cab will be waiting outside. Get yourself in it and leave. Leave for Oxford as soon as you can. Marienne shouldn't find you when he wakes up."

I nodded at her. She lifted her hand, touching my face, "I hope, maybe someday, you would be able to forgive me for not letting you out sooner. You have a fire inside you, like Madame Victor the first had."