Extra Chapter: The Child Who was Deemed a Monster

“Broken people don't hide from their monsters. Broken people let themselves be eaten.”
― Francesca Zappia,Eliza and Her Monsters

Victor Manor, 1995.

Marienne’s POV:

It was cold.

So cold, so dark, so scary. I was freezing.

My body shivered as I wrapped my arms around myself to keep myself warm. I was afraid to move, I was afraid to breathe. I afraid that if I breathed even a little harsher- he would come.

Shallow breaths escaped me as I shook from the pain of cold and the dread of darkness. I kept my eyes downcast, looking intently at my bruised toes.

I didn’t want to hear those voices anymore, I was afraid if I looked up- those monsters would come out from my head and show themselves.

I didn’t want to see them, they already sounded ugly in my head.

They always spoke in my head. I started hearing them a couple of months ago when dad left me here as a prisoner. They have always stayed with me ever since.

They talked to me, mocked me, commanded me and made me do things I shouldn’t do.

The bruise on my toe began to burn more as the freezing cold got more acute.

Marienne….

My heart jumped in my throat as that dreadful voice echoed into the deep abyss of my head. I shut my eyes, my body beginning to ache from hunger, fear.

I want food.

I miss tante’s cooking.

Tears rolled down my cheeks as the imagery of the delicious looking food flashed in front my eyes. My stomach grumbled as I tried to ignore the pain.

It had been hours since he locked me up here.

Pricking fear bit me as I began to hear murmurs deep within me- it was scary, I felt like my head would burst at any moment and blood would splatter around…..

Like mamman’s did….

A sob escaped me as I was reminded of the painful memory. It has been a year since mamman left me but I still have nightmares of her lifeless body.

I would often dream about my mamman laying down the staircase- but her eyes weren’t dead. It was like she had been watching me with her eyes open, even after death.

I was covered in her blood as I tried to run away from her dead body but somehow I was stuck to the place.

I would cry, beg her to let me go- but she never stopped haunting me. The sight of her dead body was something more painful than those cigarette burn father would give me.

It was almost like I was living far away from this world. A world where only I and the voices existed. I was here, attending schools, playing video games, getting reprimanded by father- but at the same time I wasn’t here.

I think so silly.

My body trembled violently as I felt fear creeping up inside me. I felt something surfacing, something electrifying, something violent….. something that I had no word for…..

I began to breathe harshly as I tried to stop my tears. It was so painful…. the pain in my mind was more painful than the pain flowing in my body.

I am scared.

Voices began to whisper in my ears, making me cower in fear. I curled up tightly, begging myself to stop doing whatever it was doing.