40: The Truth of the Dead (Part 1)

"I gave my heart to a man who loved me, who wanted to be with me. Who ultimately was afraid of all I offered."

—Rachel Thompson

VENGEANCE IS 25 IN ROMANCE OUT OF 1.59 MILLION STORIES! I WAS LIKE WOW I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED WITH THE ROMANCE PART! THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH! IT WAS NEVER POSSIBLE WITHOUT YOU! EACH OF YOU HAVE A CONTRIBUTION BEHIND IT!

Marienne's POV:

My hands quivered as I slowly tilted the blue velvet cover of the journal.

I knew it didn't have a life, but it was like I was holding my Madeline again.

She had come back to me again.

Then why is it that my heart does not skip a beat?

I traced the page softly, feeling the smoothness of it under my fingertips.

The page had a slight yellowish hue to it. It was probably a good grade paper.

It felt so weird.

The pounding of my heart was so loud, I could almost hear it. The constant, synchronized sound was almost hypnotizing- a clear indication of my nervousness.

What was I nervous about?

Finding something that I shouldnt?

Or finding something I should have found long ago?

Probably both.

Or maybe neither of them.

I was nervous, there was no denying it. My hands were shaking, palms were sweaty, my toes were tingling, I could feel the cold, clammy perspiration over my neck.

Should I open it? Is it a bad idea?

But then again, I might just find the killer from this diary and her..... her secrets.....

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

Our forever might get razed within mere moments......

Or maybe, I will find something disturbing.....

Maybe there will be happy thoughts....

I sighed, trying to remember her features. Maybe that would calm me down.

Her lascivious lips that I loved to kiss, her nose, her bright emerald eyes that could rival aurora borealis when she smiled....

My eyes fell open in shock as terror gripped my heart.

Why is it that I dont remember her face correctly?

Why?

Could it be that.... my deepest fear was coming true?

She is fading away from my memory.....

I wiped away the sweats that were beginning to form, breathing heavily.

No I didnt want to forget her. She is my everything, she has given me her everything.

The least I could do was reminisce her, keeping her safe into the core of my mind.

But then again, my mind was no safe place.

Everything happens for a reason, so, why is that she is fading away?

Why are you going away angel?

I gulped, shaking my head nervously. These new medicines were having an impact over me.

Blowing out a breath that I had been holding, I tilted the page, careful not to crumple the soft paper.

I held my breath in anticipation as I began to read the first entry.