Clemency

Matt POV

I don't think I ever felt this bad, the world seem darker and gravity pushed me harder into the earth. I don't know why I would have though Rebekah would take it well, she was very emotional even though she is an original. I think it was the eyes that got me, the venom in her voice I could handle but her eyes...

There was so much agony and betrayal there and it wasn't just from me I suppose it accumulated after all the years of loss. I was the only one given a choice and I didn't choose her. But I realized it isn't my fault specifically, Klaus was to blame as well but am I going to be the kind of person who loads my guilt on another. To be honest I'm not sure.

It took a while to get around to talking to Klaus considering him and Elijah up and left with crystal being left behind. So now weeks later I built the courage to look Klaus in the eye, and maybe not get my head ripped on considering he just saved my neck by killing the newly revived (now dead) witches.

Knocking on the large mahogany door I felt my fingers tremble in anticipation but I forced my body to stay still as even the slightest tremor would alert Klaus to my fear and that's not what I need. Klaus opened the door and looked slightly amused by my presence, his good mood (if you could call it that) seemingly intact.

Klaus gestured me inside and with his signature smirk in place " If you've come to tell me your choice I already know. I could tell by the profanities thrown at me by my sister firmly telling me I am ruining her life. I don't think she understands the way you look at her. At Crystal. It's either that or she just assumes that I want to ruin her life".

I shot back at him " Maybe you are, who are you to decide whether a man is good enough for her". His eyes narrowed slightly "You've grown a back bone quarterback, I appreciate that but I have killed people for less". He took a menacing step towards me and automatically I took a step back.

"You know what Klaus, I'm done. I was horrible to Rebekah because I didn't want to lose Crystal but why should I have to completely ditch Rebekah. Rebekah and I could be good friends and me and Crystal were fine until you came marching in here so you can snap my neck or whatever but it's not going to change a thing".

Knowing I crossed the line I turned my back to exit when Rebekah appeared in front of me. She looked extremely touched and I assumed she was listening to our conversation. Klaus made an indistinguishable noise then left. In a low voice she asked "Did you want to go traveling, you told me you have never been out of Mystic Falls". I considered it and decided that I'll say goodbye to Crystal then leave, I have to fix what I broke with Rebekah.

"I'll meet you in an hour" I replied and the biggest smile filled Rebekah's face and I knew that I had made the right decision. As I left with a smile on my face I found Crystal sitting on a park bench looking of into the distance. "Hey Crystal" I say as I give her a kiss on the cheek her eyes lit up which made her look even more beautiful.

"Look I know we have just patched things up but I made a mistake and I--"

She put a hand up and stopped me mid sentence and she took a deep breath and spoke words to me i will never forget.

"I know you never wanted to be a vampire hunter and i know you don't want to be a vampire. You wan't a beautiful human exsistance. You want to settle down and marry a normal girl and have normal human kids and die a normal human death and i respect that. I respect not wanting this life. Go with Rebekah. Travel see the world and then find that human girl and have your human family. You deserve to be happy matt and i know i don't make you happy anymore and that's okay but you do so much for everyone and no one really notices you. I did the i noticed you from the second you sucked me in with those beautiful blue eyes. You brought back this thing in my life that i didn't even know i was missing. You gave me back my spark, My passion and for a moment ou let me know real love. You are amazing Matthew Donovan and i i hope you get everything you're hoping for i truly do."

"Crystal I..."I hesitated but then added

" I do love you but not in the way i used too. I need to make things right with Rebekah."

For some reason she sighed in relief, "I get it Matty, Nik has just offered to take me with him to New Orleans, I'm only going for the break but it's going to be nice."

In a silent understanding we kissed not romantic but more of a goodbye and parted ways for what seemed like the last time, no words were needed, we knew exactly what we had to do. I only hope Rebekah will show me Clemency.