Out of Character

All was quiet in Mystic Falls, Rebekah and Elena had left for New York in search for the cure. I couldn’t find company with Klaus as he has been so wound up knowing that the cure could potentially kill him. Matt and I were still fighting because he wanted to protect me so that left me, in the middle of the forest as bored as ever and lonely too. This is usually where a thing happens, not that I want it to it just does.

Talking of things that are happening there was a distinct sound of a stick breaking in two, whether it had been on purpose or not was to be decided. I grabbed out of my bag my trusty stake and put myself in the defence position, scanning the area to see where the noise came from.

It was only when I saw the familiar face ok Nik from the trees did I lower my weapon and let out the breath I never knew I was holding. I smiled in relief “You scared me there Nik” he wore his casual smirk that I was used to “I didn’t mean to scare you”. Honestly I was surprised that he didn’t put love at the end of the sentence he usually always starts or ends the sentence with it.

“Now Love, I have a little problem that I could use a hand with”. Klaus never usually asked for help, especially mine so it must be important so I answered “Sure”. His smirk widened as he took a step towards me it was almost as if he was trying to intimidate me, but I kept my cool. He leant close and whispered in my ear the cool of his breath bringing chills down my back “You are going to tell me where the Bennet witch is before I kill all your little friends”.

I took a step back horrified at what he just said; his smirk turned into a sinister grin “Oops I got it wrong again, getting out of character”. I gulped I knew who this was, Silas I tried to back away further only to run straight into a tree. Silas didn’t even miss a beat turning from all the people I cared about from one step to another. While he was in the form of Matt he said to me “Poor lost little girl, desperate to scrape even some attention off the ones you desire. When will you learn your entire life no one cared about you”.

It hurt more coming out of Matt’s lips even though I knew it wasn’t truly him I sunk lower onto the tree. I looked up to see Nik’s face again “Little orphan Laurel, your parents didn’t crash they wanted to escape from you. It must have been horrible for them raising you such a disappointment”. I tried to keep my face neutral but I knew it was slipping. “You didn’t honestly thought they were proud of you” he shook his head “I can tell you know they would be disgusted, I honestly feel sorry for the real Niklaus he has you hanging of him all the time’.

He bent down to my level and lifted my chin up with his finger as a single tear escaped my eye. “You know he’s only using you right” I shook my head defiantly not believing a word. This only makes him smile “Are you going to make it hard for me, its okay I like a challenge”. He pressed his fingers on my forehead and muttered under his breath “Isn’t this a horrid little memory”. I didn’t have time to even draw a breath before I was pulled into my memory.

It was as normal as any other day the sun was in the sky, the birds were singing and all seemed well. A car was driving up the road, not just any car though it was the Petrova families. A little girl was sat at the back seat humming along with the birds she looked about 10 years old. The girl’s mother and father were sat at the front staring at the road ahead of them, smiling wide. I realized why this was so familiar the little girl at the back was me. As much as I didn’t want to watch it I was unable to turn my head or move an inch as my mother screamed as the other car rammed into ours. Time slowed down and I was able to see my Daddy try and cover me with his body as the two cars collided. His body became disfigured as he made out the words “Remember that I” before he could finish blood pooled in his mouth as a large piece of glass rammed through his back.

I choked down a sob as I watched my father die and my mum’s life slowly leak away with the blood pooling from the injury from her head. I was about to as well there were several shards of glass everywhere one of which had cut my neck and blood was coming out continuously. There was a blur before the two cars exploded; destroying what was left of my family.

The figure which had saved me from the car had bitten it's wrist and was feeding blood to my slowly fading body. The figure was a man and he cradled me in his arms. I saw something I never had seen before pure love and worry written all over his face. This was soon replaced with relief as the colour was reclaimed in my younger self’s cheeks. He smiled to himself, a real genuine smile “I’ve always wanted a girl”.

The little girl me woke up with a sudden urgency, racing out of his arms to the explosion site. Wet tears covered her face as she reached the charred ground. “Mummy, Daddy” I heard her strangled voice cry, and to be honest it broke my heart all over again. I blinked furiously as tears slowly made their way down my face.

Nik was there in a second holding the young girl tight, he pressed his fingers against her frail head as I remembered the calm feeling that had spread over me that night, but he held on for too long. A thousand years of emotions, thoughts memories raced through that little girls head, my head and all she managed to say was “It will be okay”.

I was pulled out of the trance as quickly as I was put in and I wept tears for my mother and my father, Een though that girl wasn't me anymore. I wasnt naieve or innocent but even so i cried for the pain and suffering. I cried until there was no tears left to cry and the familiar hold of Niklaus was wrapped around me as he whispered words of comfort into my ears such as “It will be okay” the exact words he said to me so many moons ago.