Chapter 11: A New Form

Depuis le début

She glared at him. "That's not fair; you had a head start."

He shrugged. "And you have wings. Fair's fair." She grunted, clearly still mad. Wraith was saved by Spyro and Hunter, who chose that moment to show up. They looked surprised to see him there.

"Wraith!" Spyro called as he jogged toward him with Hunter on his heels. "What are you doing here?"

Wraith chuckled. "Well, I just decided to swing by."

"Literally," Flame added as he walked in. "He hit me in the head while I was getting some air." He glared at Wraith who tried, and failed, to look remorseful.

"So..." Wraith turned toward Spyro and the others. "You guys doing anything today?"

Cynder winced. "Yeah, we have to go to the academy."

Wraith froze. "What, like a dragon academy?"

Flame nodded. "Yeah, it's supposed to be fun."

Wraith was silent. "Oh. Well, I guess I'll have to find something to do while you guys are in torture central."

"Hey!" Hunter complained. "I teach one of the classes."

Wraith's eyes widened in mock surprise. "Sorry, Teach. Anyways...." He turned to the others. "I guess I'll just hang around the city. You know, check things out, do some sight-seeing."

Flame nodded. "Sounds like a plan." The five of them started toward the doors.

"Hey, Spyro, is Sparx around?"

Spyro shook his head. "Nah, he's visiting our parents."

Wraith stared at him for a long moment before shaking his head. "I'm not even going to ask."

They were almost at the doors when they heard a voice from outside. "Spyro! Is my favorite dragon in?"

Spyro and Wraith exchanged a look of terror. Spyro turned and ran down the nearest hallway while Wraith looked for a shadow. Too late.

The doors opened and a pink dragoness walked in. It was Ember, the one Wraith was now very much regretting that he had helped. "Hey, Hunter, is Spyro around?" she asked sweetly, completely ignoring Cynder and Flame. Then she noticed Wraith. "Wait a minute, aren't you the one that saved me from those bullies?"

Wraith shook his head. "No, that was him." He pointed off to the left. Everyone looked.

"I don't—" Ember started but trailed off when she saw that Wraith was gone. "Where did he go?" she asked.

Before anyone could respond, Terrador stomped down the stairs. "Cynder, have you seen—" he trailed off when he saw Ember. "What are you doing back here? I thought I made it clear that Spyro didn't want you stalking him."

"I'm not stalking; I'm just looking for my hero," Ember protested dreamily. Terrador walked forward, placed a wing on her shoulder, and steered her toward the door. She protested the whole way down to the gates, but Terrador shoved her out and closed them.

Several minutes later, Spyro poked his head in from the hall. "Is she gone?" he asked nervously. Cynder nodded. "Thank the ancestors." Spyro sighed in relief as he slid back into the main hall. Then he noticed that Wraith was missing. "Where did Wraith go?"

"I'm right here," Wraith said as he appeared right behind Spyro. Spyro yelped and spun around. Flame tried and failed to cover a laugh.

"Why were you hiding from her?" Cynder asked curiously.