No More Tears

Days passed and we eventually get even closer. I found out that he is working at a live music cafe.

Sometimes, he would text just to tell me how flirty a customer is and how annoyed he is. Other times, he would call me to tell my parents that he's on the way home. And now I occasionally call him oppa too. Actually, I call him that only if I want him to do something for me. And skinship? Well if you say dragging me while locking my neck in his arm and ruffling my hair are skinship, then I guess we do that too. After all that's how siblings act right?

We walk to the park one saturday just like we always do every weekend. Along the way, we joke around teasing each other.

It's that time of the year when the weather is cool and dry, yet still pleasantly warm and sunny, and the leaves change their colors. Yes, it's autumn! My favorite season. The leaves, no more green, hang for their life on the branch while some of them have fallen to the ground and scattered. I can hear the crackling sound of the dried leaves that we step on as we walk.

We arrive at the park and sit down on the bench as he plays his guitar while I read my book.

Author's POV
Haewon lifts her head after reading a few pages and looks up at the leaves of the great tree that stick to the branches stretching wide over them. She smiles looking at the leaves. The vibrant red, brown, orange, and yellowish colors of the leaves always amaze her. Green is refreshing, but these colors always calm her heart.

She remembers the first time she waited for Eustace to comeback. The first time her heart was broken by the unfulfilled (or yet-to-be-fulfilled) promise. Her heart usually aches when she remembers it. But not today. Not when she can enjoy the autumn colors. Not when there is a soothing sound of the strummed strings. Not when she's with her brother. No. Not anymore. Instead, she smiles remembering it.

She leans her head on Chanyeol's shoulder comfortably. Surprised, Chanyeol becomes somehow stiff for a moment though his hands still play the guitar. He smiles, then he glances at the girl so comfortably resting on his shoulder while she smiles to herself touching her twig ring necklace.

"That's a nice necklace." Chanyeol marks.

Haewon glaces at him still resting her head on his shoulder. "Oh this?" She smiles and looks back at the ring as she continues, "It's actually a ring. A handmade ring."

"From him?" He asks and she nods in reply. "Why are you still wearing that?"

"Because it's made by him." She chuckles. "..and it reminds me of the happy times I spent with him."

"Are you still waiting for him?"

"I don't know..." she sighs. "You know what? Years ago, I actually waited for him around this time of the year here in this very spot. My head tells me that he's not coming, but my heart wants to believe that he is. So I waited here until I was drenched in rain." She laughs a bit.

"I've been coming back ever since in hope that he will come..." she continues. "But it doesn't really matter anymore now..."

Because now I have a brother who promised to stay by my side.
She continues in her heart.

She looks at him and smiles before she leans her head on his shoulder again.

A drop of water lands on her cheek. Then another one tingles her nose. Another drop lands - this time - on his head.

Realizing that it's going to rain soon, Chanyeol quicly puts his guitar on its case as Haewon puts her book inside her bag.

"Come on! We gotta hurry!" Chanyeol exclaims as he takes Haewon's hand and both run.

Chanyeol then takes off his jacket and put it over his head. He pulls Haewon closer to him and she lifts the jacket over her too.

Soon enough rain starts to pour heavily while they are still running towards the bus stop for shelter.

They finally arrive at the bus shelter laughing joyfully. Haewon crosses her arm trying to stop the chills, caused by the rain and wind, running down her body. But she still smiles anyway. It's cold even though she already wears a sweater and her autumn coat.

"Are you cold?" asks Chanyeol.

"No. It's okay," she lies.

Chanyeol puts his jacket on her anyway.

"I told you I'm okay."

"Yeah right! You're very okay till you shiver like that."

"But what about you?" She asks in concern. "Look at you! Now you're shivering!"

Haewon is about to take off his jacket and give it back to him when she suddenly felt one of his arms wrapped around her pulling her closer to him while he tucks his other hand inside the pocket of his pants. His guitar bag hung on his shoulders.

"Now this is warmer." He sighs.

"Ya! Just wear your jac-"

"Don't take it off or I'll be mad and cut our deal."

"Araso..araso.." She relents letting him embrace her with one arm. She then smiles sheepishly to herself.

"Mwoya? Why are you smiling to yourself?" He asks as he chuckles a bit.

"I just remember how stupid I was to let myself got drenched and then crying like a baby waiting for someone who I wasn't sure will come or not." She sighs. "I felt so lonely to at that time. But now...not anymore." She looks at him, smiles, and then chuckles.

Suddenly, she feels a pair of lips pressed against her forehead. Her heart suddenly flutters and she blushes. It's been awhile since his touches make her blushes. Ever since they get closer, even hugging him doesn't make her blushes this much even though her heart pounds faster once in a while.

Chanyeol kisses her forehead but then he pulls himself away and releases his embrace as he himself is surprised by what he did.

They both laughs awkwardly and clear their throat as he rubs the back of his neck. They both look away from each other. The bus finally comes.

"Le-let's go!" says Chanyeol as he enters the bus without even glancing at Haewon.

They sit side by side in silence trying to avoid eye contact.

Chanyeol looks out the window. He suddenly feels a weight on his shoulder. He turns his head and sees Haewon already sleeping so soundly on his shoulder. He clears his throat as he adjusts her head. He then brushes her bangs revealing her calm pretty face and tucks them behind her ear. He smiles.

"I won't let you cry again." He whispers.