Us

His name was Eustace. He was Korean but was born in Australia. He came back to Korea when he was in fifth grade because his parents had opened a business here. He went to a school not far from mine. We first met here at the park.

I went here one winter day to enjoy my me time after the last day of school before winter break. When I was going to my favorite spot, I saw a boy already sitting on the bench with head hanging down and a drop of tear rolling on his cheek. I went closer and sat next to him. I didn't know what to do, so i just stay silent.

During the few minutes of silence, I take my time to enjoy the view. I loved how the park still looks beautiful even though the snow covered the park like a soft white blanket. Even some parts of the bench are covered with snow. The branches of the leafless tress bend as if they are tired of holding the load of snow resting on top of them. From a distance, I can see some other kids with pink rosy cheeks and scarfs covering almost half of their faces playing snowball fight throwing the soft cold balls at each other. I then smiled to myself.

I almost forgot that someone was sitting beside me if it wasn't for his sniffing sound.

I opened my school bag and took out a tissue.

"Here," I said reaching out my hand to hand him the tissue with a smile.

He jerked a bit from being surprised. His eyes blinked a few times before he looked at me and then the tissue. He didn't immediately take the tissue, so I smile again while holding the tissue.

"Here," again I said. He slowly took the tissue and smile a bit.

"Thanks!" He said blowing his nose afterwards. I chuckled hearing the sound of him blowing his nose.

"What?" He softly asked raising his eyebrow.

"Nothing.." I answered with a grin to which he smiled back. We then laughed a bit seeing each other smile.

It was then that I get a clear view of his face. He was not that fat, but he had a round chubby face. He had dark brown eyes. His gaze was gentle as he smiles.

"I'm Haewon." I said reaching out my hand once again - but without the tissue this time.

"I'm Eustace" he said taking my hand into his. His hand is surprisingly warm despite the cold weather surrounding us. It felt like the time had stopped when we were looking into each other's eyes. I didn't know what it was, but right then and there I got a feeling that we would be good friends.

"Eustace?" I asked because of the rarity - or more like the non existence - of hearing the name in Korea.

"Yes," he answered all awhile still holding my hand in his. "Why? Is it weird?" he asked shyly.

"No." I chuckled. "I just never heard the name before, so I want to be sure I heard it right." I smiled.

We broke our handshake when we heard the laughter of the kids who were playing the snowball fight. I guess laughter is contagious, because we laughed too seeing them laugh and play. Eustace didn't seem to be sad anymore.

While Eustace was so focused in watching the other kids play, I stood up then bent down to take a handful of snow from the ground making it into a ball. He was laughing at how one of the kids fell down from trying to chase after the other when I threw the ball hitting the side of his shoulder.

"YA!" he shouted glaring at me while I laughed. He too made a snowball but before he could threw it at me I ran away. Soon enough we were happily playing snowball fight. We chased each other until we both fell on top of the white soft blanket laughing our heart out.