12. - THE NEW DEAL

Start from the beginning

—————

Stefan had stolen the sleeping Mikaelson siblings.

Klaus was completely manic and livid, Letha had asked if she could do anything to help but he seemed to already have his hybrids on the job. So she spent the morning and half the afternoon at the dance studio, practicing and teaching before heading home. Jeremy had invited her to lunch at the house, and though they were on better terms now she wasn't ready to face Elena.

She sat on the sofa, a blanket draped over her lap as Rudy snuggled up next to her. Letha had been unpacking boxes when she came across a certain one that had her frozen in her tracks. It was her parents things, all she had left of them. Pictures of her, Jeremy, Elena and their parents — smiling contently unaware of the future tragedy that awaited them.

Her fingers brushed over the little mementos of them that she'd taken. A shirt of her dads that still had his lingering scent, her mother's locket and other little trinkets. She reached into the box pulling out a beautiful hairbrush with intricate flowers and such carved on the back.

She could remember the gentle way her mother would brush her hair, kind and patient. Her hair had always been long and easily knotted, so she cried a lot when it pulled. So, her mum had brought the pretty hairbrush to make her feel like a real life princess and look forward to it. Letha had loved when her mother would sing to her, so she did every time she brushed her daughters hair.

Letha could still faintly hear the soothing voice in her mind.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

She had always called Letha her little sunshine. An optimistic ray of light that was always prancing around the house with a beaming grin. Letha had been closer to her mum that her dad, but that didn't mean she loved him any less. She stared at the picture of the two of them next to her first little yellow bike, he'd taught her to ride a bike, and then he'd been the one to patch her up after she fell off due to her daydreaming while riding along.

The funny thing was, she couldn't even remember the last thing she had ever said to her parents. Letha wracked her brain for months after the crash bus she couldn't remember, was it something horrible? Did they go to their deaths thinking she hated them? Her mind was a jumbled mess when she would think about them, which is why she didn't do it often.

"It's just me and you, Rudy."

—————

Letha wasn't sure she'd ever had so much rage flowing through her veins. It was hot and thick and enveloped her entire being. A phone call from Jeremy had disrupted her peaceful day, Klaus had tried to have him killed — actually tried to kill him. Alaric had taken the hit for her brother and they were both fine, but Letha was furious.

She scowled as she stormed up the construction sight that was Klaus' new mansion, "—ran down Alaric instead of Jeremy, but apples, oranges, message lands the same." She stopped at the entrance of the room at the sound of Klaus' voice.

"You said you are sending them a warning." Tyler's voice sounded out loudly, his tone desperate.

"And I did. An effective one! Elena's family suffers, she is motivated to get me what I want."

Tyler growled, his next words the quiet ones of a confused teenage boy, "I didn't think that we actually have to kill anyone."

"Tyler, mate. What you are feeling is the remnant of a guilty conscience. I need you to get over it, okay? End of the day human life is just a means to an end. Our means to our end. You do well to remember that?"

Just like that all the anger drained out of Letha's body, transforming into sadness, and ache in her chest forming. She wiped away the tears that she hadn't even realised were falling and stormed away. On her way off his property she came across his car, without a second though she popped his tires, though it didn't really make her feel any better, his words playing around in her head.

End of the day human life is just a means to an end.

AUTHORS NOTE!
Another short chapter sorry! But Nik has messed up majorly - how ever will he get himself out of this one? Next chapter Letha finds out that Elena compelled Jeremy to leave town, and Elena gets what's coming to her...

On another more serious note. I'm sure you've all heard the drama surrounding Mathew Davis (Alaric) at the moment. I usually hate the whole toxic twitter cancel culture because most of the time it's unnecessary. But personally I can't look at him the same way, so in this fic and any other fic I'm recasting Alaric as the beautiful, unproblematic Jenson Ackles.

 But personally I can't look at him the same way, so in this fic and any other fic I'm recasting Alaric as the beautiful, unproblematic Jenson Ackles

( feel free to still imagine matt or whoever you want this is just a personal choice! )

On a lighter note I'm supposed to be dyeing my hair pink tomorrow, let's just hope it doesn't go horribly wrong cause I can't go to a professional to get it fixed aha.

Remember to stay safe! Vote, comment and or share please!

Unedited
-summer