VOL.3 [Chapter 11, The elves of Sheydan.]

[Padge's perspective]

One of the Valkyries had only just left my workshop again after bringing me a letter from the Massive country South of Yggdrasil.

I had long ago begun looking into Sheydan since I didn't want to be caught off-guard when they might move to attack like Ruflourus had done already.

What I had not expected from the elven kingdom, was that they would simply send a letter.

Prying open the wax seal on the envelope I took the folded parchment from it and could only sigh at the ridiculous declarations that were contained within the letter.

To His Imperial Highness Emperor Padgett Cornelius Baerne,

In light of recent revelations to our kingdom, we must warn the Emperor of Yggdrasil that any further military action to our nation will result in military retalliation from the Sheydan armies.

Having committed a war crime upon the Sheydan Kingdom, we have full right to attack Yggdrasil should another transgression occur.

Upon having reviewed all evidence provided by the people of Icemere, we have concluded that the attack upon the city and murder of the ruling family thereof have been committed by Padgett Cornelius Baerne.

At the time of the attack, which was done with undue military force by bringing an army of monsters to attack the city, it was under Sheydan protection, and thus is considered an attack on Sheydan lands.

Should Emperor Baerne wish to prevent military retaliation from the Sheydan Kingdom, members of Sheydan's Council of Advisors will be permitted to be part of Yggdrasil's ruling body to ensure undue military action is not taken again against us or any of our allied countries.

Aelrindel Kilyn Aiduin Proudbow, Elven Lord of the Sheydan Kingdom.

"These damnable bastards!" I thundered once I had read the entire letter.

With the contents of the letter I now knew why Ruflourus had brought Alina to Icemere when they had her abducted. The city was under protection from Sheydan, which meant they could claim I had attacked Sheydan when I did.

Not even accepting the fact it was a rescue mission to get my daughter back who had been abducted in the first place.

"Is something the matter, Milord?" A faint voice came from above me.

"Good, Hikome, I need you to investigate something for me." I replied to the voice coming from the rafters above me.

"As you wish." She replied and dropped down without a sound.

The young catfolk girl was only two years older than me, but unlike me, she was a master infiltrator, investigator and assassin.

The very fact she had managed to arrive in my workshop unnoticed when I was to first meet her proved as much.

She had entered through who knows where and was instructed to secure her used entry for safety reasons, but fact remained she had found another entryway other than the door and used it without me, guards or anyone noticing.

Ever since, whenever she came to report for duty like now, she would wait for my acknowledgment in the rafters and even then rarely reveal herself.

"I need you to find out anything you can about the connections between Ruflourus and Sheydan's governments. I know they have that damnable alliance, but it seems like there's more. If you can find plans of proof that my daughter's abduction was part of a means to declare war upon us, bring it to me. You have permission to kill anyone in Sheydan who obstructs your way. I will no longer tolerate the lies these people spread just to smear me and our country." I told her and, as usual, handed her the badge of office she was to carry on her once she was deployed.