VOL.2 [Chapter 23, The faun Empress.]

[Author's note]

Starting next week, the release schedule for my Saturday releases will start to alternate between Sent by the Gods and An Elf on Earth.

One week will have a release for Sent by the Gods on Saturday and the other will have a release for An Elf on Earth.

[Padge's perspective]

We had, three weeks after the Medrus Royals departure, finally received word from Xeahia Montagnon, the Empress of the Agral Empire.

She was on her way; the messenger having made it to our capital in three quarters the time she would need to arrive. And so, I sent word to the Imperial Council to begin preparations for the Empress' arrival.

And with Alyssa already six months pregnant, she was starting to get around with more and more difficulty. She spent most of her time sitting or lying down by now, seeing how fast she currently tired from any form of exercise.

But with two months having gone by since the message from Empress Xeahia Montagnon came to us and her departure soon after, she was by now a mere two weeks travel away from us.

"Alyssa, are you sure you can manage being present to welcome the Empress into our city? You are already stretched thin for energy as it is." I asked her when she remained insisting to join me at the gate to welcome the Empress, and she nodded at me in return, but I could clearly tell she was lying, even to herself.

"Padge, I don't want you to be alone with that woman..." She suddenly muttered at me and I gave her a confused glance. "You really are afraid she's going to steal me away from you. Aren't you?" I replied to her and pulled her closer to me on the sofa where we sat.

I felt her white vulpine ears fold back against her head as I held her as she nodded in the most minor of motions I could imagine.

That entire evening, I spent doing everything in my power to calm Alyssa's worries. But in the end, she simply fell asleep in my arms, crying. It broke my heart, it still does every time I see her like this.

Soon, another two weeks had passed, and I stood with Alina next to me at the northern most gate to Wolven Hollow. Our nobles and Valkyries stood around me as well.

The many nobles we have, gathered in a long line on either side of me, down the road into the city.

In front of me, a double line of Valkyries stood guard between my people and the approaching Empress.

I could just barely tell there was a small caravan coming our way in the far off distance. But actually telling of how many it consisted, that was impossible.

We had all gathered here just after the last bell tolled above the city, Caroll a slight distance behind me and Alina. Gildas directly to my right in front of me as a personal guard.

All we could do now, was wait for the small caravan to approach. But how long do we need to wait, not even I know. Truth be told, I'm not even sure the people in the caravan know how much longer.

But as the caravan became visible as a distinct single, regally made carriage accompanied by about a hundred cavalry soldiers, I reared my head and released a deafening howl.

Awoooooooooh!

Upon my voice, carried a welcome that had become tradition in Yggdrasil, especially in Wolven Hollow. And as my voice carried upon the endless plains that surrounded our city with the occasional hill breaking the smooth surface of grass...

Awoooooooooh!

Awoooooooooh!

Awoooooooooh!