VOL.2 [Chapter 25, Pomae Mosswolf.]

[Padge's perspective]

The night had fallen over the Palace of Gladsheim long ago, but I still sat nervously in the main parlor, alone except for a single half-faun girl.

And as much as the trouble pained me before with Alyssa when we were a mere nine and ten years old, this was that problem all over again.

Pomae, my 'new concubine', was only seventeen years of age. I had gotten used to the common sense that in this world a girl was of marriable age at fourteen. But it never ceased feeling odd for me, having come from a world and country where marriage is unheard of under the age of eighteen.

But at least, by the time this 'could' come to marriage, and that is speaking rather broadly, Pomae would have already turned eighteen years of age.

But as of right now, I had absolutely no intentions of taking her up as one of my concubines, or my first even. But she had a year to 'try' and convince this stubborn wolf folk Emperor. I wish her luck, frankly.

But I have in the past hours of sitting here with both of us in awkward silence, decided to give her a fair chance. I might not be keen on the idea of having 'two wives' at this point, but if the girl proved that I could love two women, I would seriously consider the proposal that came with the peace treaty.

And worst of all... her mother, Empress Xeahia Montagnon had already retired to the quarters we had assigned her.

In fact, she had left us with the words, 'get to know each other, lovebirds' I have truly no intention of letting this go that way just yet.

But so far, all I had managed was to ask if her father also lived with her mother.

It had briefly sparked a lively conversation, but that fell silent just as fast as it had sparked. The girl truly was shy at heart, it seemed.

Her father was one of her mother's many concubines and indeed had his own quarters in the palace where she had lived until she was called to come along for this journey.

That was spoken of entirely in smiles and all, but as soon as it was told, she fell silent again, growing fidgety around me once again.

Clack, clack, clack. Clack, clack, clack. Clack, clack, clack. Clack, clack, clack.

The sound filled the parlor at increasing volume until I actually flattened my wolf ears against my head and plugged my human ears with my fingers to block out the sound.

"O-oh, sorry... I tend to tap my hooves whenever I get nervous." Pomae suddenly spoke up, completely flustered by the fact she had not realized she had been tapping her hooves so frantically.

"Do you want me to show you the way to your quarters, I don't mind, since I am considering joining my wife for the night." I offered her and she looked up surprised.

"W-would you do that?" She asked me with eyes, wide with shock and revealing their golden irises as the light reflected off them.

"Why not, seeing how the treaty is formed you'll live here for at least a year. I think it would be bad manners to not show you where your private quarters are. We will have a more suitable room prepared for you soon. One with a bit more spaciousness to it, for the coming nights we have hurriedly prepared a guestroom like the one for your mother." I told her and she nodded shyly.

"Come... I'll show the way." I said, extending a hand for her, which she took hesitantly.

While I felt the soft skin of Pomae's hand wrap around my hand as she took it, I saw her cheeks tinged pink as she blushed slightly while looking longingly at me.