Chapter 22 Memory

Stefan's POV)

"I'm so sorry." I began.
Elena walks down the stares slowly with baby tears coming out of her eyes.

"We were stupid... Sneaking around... Thinking that we wouldn't get cought."
I hold back my tears painfully and nod. "I know."

"We did this. Stefan, Jenna's in the hospital, and Jeremy could be next. All because we didn't listen to her. Because... Because we're together."
I stare at her, fighting tears.

She takes a deep breath and nods her head. Another deep breath goes in as she folds her arms and walks closer to me.
"Stefan."
I react almost instantly.
"I know what your gonna say to me." I reply back.

"Then let me say it."
I feel like drowning in a river of tears, but I keep them in.
"I have been so selfish because I love you so much. And you know how much you love me."

My lips tremble and my eyes are dropping. I feel like someone is pushing me off a cliff... An endless pit of sadness and sorrow and memories you will never relive. I nod at her trying to keep them in... But I feel like breaking down.

She moves her head and looks into my eyes with sorrow. "But its over." Her beautiful voice whispers... Haunting me.

I shake my head, in diniale.
"Stefan, it has to be."
"No." I reply back, letting my hot tears flow down my cheeks.
I look down and sniffle
"No, Stefan." She grabs the ends of my mouth and looks into my eyes.

"It has to be." She whispers tears shedding down her eyes.
I look at her in shame and guilt.
We exchange glances and she moves closer to me, forcing a kiss.
I pull away and look up and down.
Her mouth opens, but I find no words come out of it.

She turns around in the other direction and walks away. Crying.

I bite my under lip holding the tears in but they can't stay in for long. I think and think for a few moments.

"What do I have to hide from her?"
"She doesn't care anymore."

My tears flow out as I cry.

"Stefan?" Elena blurts.
I look up to see Elena looking into my eyes, which snapped me back to the real world.

I look up as my dam of tears break lose.

She takes my head and rests it on her shoulder. I cry harder and harder for what seems to be a decade but is really only 5 minutes.
I remove my head from her shoulder to look into her eyes, realizing she was crying too.

I do the same she did to me. Take her head and lay it on my shoulder.

I stroke her flawless chocolate brown curly hair as I realize a pair of arms wrapping around my body, hugging me.

I rearranged my left hand to her back and my right hand to her hair as I stoke it smoothly.

"Elena?" I whisper into her ear.

She nods her head as a signal of 'yeah?'

"I'm in love with you."