He Was Gone For Good

AUTHORS NOTE: From the perspective of Rory after the car crash in season 2. DISCLAIMER: Some themes may be a bit graphic for younger readers. Also I know that I've already written about Jess and Rory's relationship in this book this is just another alternative ending to their story. 

My wrist hurts like hell and I have a big headache all of a sudden. It doesn't get better when I look to my side and see Jess covered in blood. 

"Jess," I say. No response. "JESS!"

I open my phone and call an ambulance to come and get him and I. 

                                                                         **************************

My mum runs into my hospital room frantically and immediately hugs me and kisses my forehead. 

"Oh kid, you have no idea what it took for me to get here so quickly."

"Mum, I'm so glad you're here. They're just about to give me an x-ray."

"Oh good."

"Did you hear anything about Jess on your way in here. I'm worried about him."

"Rory I know you think you're friends with him and all that but I couldn't care less about what happens to him."

"Mum..."

"No Rory, he's hurt you and I get to hate him for that."

A this point I just nod and look down because I'm not in the mood to have an argument about ti with her. 

                                                                  *******************************

Later that night once I'm back from the hospital, I lie down on my bed waiting for my mum to come home. The last time I saw her was at the hospital. I read my textbook for Chemistry and try to get some of my homework done but I can't stop thinking about Jess. I hope he's ok. Since I can't concentrate on my homework I decide to close my eyes for a few minutes which turns into a small nap. 

When I wake up my mum is at the end of my bed. 

"Mum? What time is it?"

"Rory I need to tell you something."

"Ok, what is it?" I ask rearranging my pillows and sitting up.

"I went to Luke's and he told me some news about Jess..."

"What? Is he ok?"

"No hon, he's not. He hit his head really hard in the crash and he's in a coma. Luke said the doctor's say he'll wake up but Luke called his sister to come and get him."

"What? But he's unconscious."

"Luke knows the hospitals in New York will be better for Jess than the ones here so let it happen. Jess won't be coming back."

"But, I... I never got to say goodbye to him."

"Kid I know you had a thing for him but you just need to let it go. He'll be fine..."

"I want to go and visit him, Come on I want to go to New York and see him."

"No Rory. You're in a cast and you have other things such as school and Dean to be worrying about. I don't want you to go see him."

"But the crash wasn't his fault and I know he'll want to see me too."

"RORY NO! You're not seeing Jess!"

"MUM!"

"NO!"

And I leave it at that because I've already lost one friend tonight and don't want to lose another one.