She went out with Tristan.

Authors note: from the point of view of Rory after she broke up with Dean after she didn't say I love you back to him. 

Dean puts his hand on the handle of his car. 

"Dean wait!" I say, not wanting him to leave. 

"Give me one good reason why I should stay."

I think about telling him that I love him but I don't and I don't want to lie to him. 

"I..."

"What Rory, What?"

"Nothing."

His face fills with hurt and he turns back to his car door. 

"That's what I thought," he says as he jumps into his car and drives away from Chilton. 

I'm flustered and upset but not enough that I would chase after him. I need to get my books back from Tristan. When I turn around he's standing there and he hands my books back to me. 

"I'm sorry Rory, that was rough."

"Whatever Tristan. I'm sure you loved it."

"No I didn't. I'm always here if you want to talk about it. I mean I totally understand."

"Yeah. Thanks."

I look at him and I can tell that he genuinely cares. It's nice. 

"Hey Tristan, I'd love to go to the PJ Harvey concert with you if that offer still stands."

"Of course."

He leans his arm out to the side, gesturing for me to link his arm with mine. And I do.