everything he needs

Ally stares at her best friend in shock as he stands outside her front door, teary eyed and drunk-looking while holding a baby carrier that carried a crying infant.

She brings him inside before anyone can see him and snap a picture. Ally closes her front door and turns around, glaring at him. "Austin, it's one in the morning. Dawn has school in the morning and—"

"I just found Jessica, uh... fucking my record producer," he blurts, his voice cracking. Ally gapes, her eyes widening slightly. "Ally, take Lya from me. Please."

Ally nods and grabs the crying baby from the carrier. As she cradled her, Ally sends him a stern glare. "I know you're hurt and pissed, but you're also tipsy. You shouldn't be driving with your daughter in the car when you're under the influence, Austin."

Austin puts the carrier down, along with Lya's baby bag before he flops on to her couch, burying his face with his hands. "Don't worry. I took an Uber here," he sighs, removing his hands to look at her. "I mean, I-I get home, Lya's screaming, and you know where Jessica is? Fucking James in our pool."

Ally frowns at him. Sighing, she takes a seat next to him with his, now calm, daughter in her arms. Chuckling softly, she says, "I haven't seen you in months, yet I receive a greeting of 'my wife has cheated on me'."

Austin scoffs and gives her a look. Ally sends him a reassuring smile, shrugging.

He sits up with a sigh. "I'm sorry, Als. I know I don't have the right to come in and out of your life with my problems. You're just the only person who stays by me through all my bullshit."

"Shhh, don't swear around your daughter," Ally scolds him, making him chuckle. "But I was just kidding, you know that, right? We both have kids now, you're married, and still making music. We have more important priorities than talking everyday."

Austin nods, getting quiet once more. He leans on his knees, looking down at the ground. "Jessica and I have been distant for a while now. I think the postpartum depression wrecked her, but I tried everything. I even took off work for half a year. Yesterday was my first day back."

"Can I be honest with you for a second?"

Austin nods, turning his head to look at her.

"I've told you before I didn't like Jessica," she starts, giving him a light shrug. "We've known her since we were kids. She didn't care for you until the money came around. I tried to tell you this before you moved in with her, but you didn't listen. I told you again at your wedding, you didn't listen. I don't think her cheating had anything to do with the postpartum; maybe moreso with the fact that you guys have a baby now."

"Why would that make her cheat, though?"

"Look, Jessica literally doesn't have a job; she lives off of you, correct? Which means, she's basically been sitting on her ass since you bought your first house. Now, she has to take care of a baby. When you took half a year off, were you doing the most work with Lya?"

"Yeah, but I figured—"

"You figured wrong," Ally interrupts him, giving him a shrug. "Look, this is between you and Jessica and I understand you love her, but consider it. Lya can sleep in bed with me; you're tipsy and I don't think you've mastered sleeping in bed with a baby."

Austin chuckles lightly as she plants a kiss on his cheek and murmurs a 'goodnight' before descending off to her bedroom with his daughter.

He had some thinking to do.

//

"And where the hell have you been?" Jessica snaps as Austin enters their home.