coming home to you

It takes Austin a bit of hesitation before he finally works up the courage to knock on the house door.

He hadn't seen her in maybe five months. Which means he hasn't seen his daughter in five months, either. Work was hard, but he should never go so long without seeing them. They've talked but he'd always say he'd be back soon; five months later isn't soon.

Finally, who he expected, his brunette ex-wife opens the door with a friendly smile. Though it drops once she gets the sight of him. "Finally decided to drop by?"

He gives a small smile and shrugs. "Hey, I'm in the middle of a tour. I came back here for my three nights I don't travel."

"Not an excuse," she says, raising an eyebrow and crossing her arms. He shrugs, making her roll her eyes and step aside. "This is exactly why we divorced."

He comes inside and waves her off. "Yeah, yeah," he steps inside and looks around the comfy living room. "Where's Ells?"

"It's eleven o'clock at night, Austin," Ally says, leaning on her hip and giving him a look.

"Oh, right," he murmurs stupidly. He pulls off his jacket and places it on the arm of the single sofa before walking through the apartment. "It smells nice. Baking sweets?"

"Yeah. Bakery's business has been slow so I'm trying to bake up a sort of 'fall' cookie or something."

The both of them walk into the kitchen and Austin's eyes widen in amazement at all of the cookies and small cakes and cupcakes and... wow.

Ally had her own bakery. Treat Your Sweet. It used to be her grandmother before she passed, but now it's all hers. With her own money, and with Austin's help, she's made it the bakery she's always wanted. Even if they're no longer together, Austin would never take away anything he paid for in her shop. They had a mutual divorce, and his daughter loved the bakery, so he wouldnt hurt his girls.

"Here," Ally speaks, jogging over to the mixer and dipping her finger in. She brings it out and holds it to him. "Try this."

Austin follows her route and leans down to suck the frosting off of her finger. He leans back up and raises an eyebrow as he smacks his tongue, trying to get a taste. "Mmm. That's good. What's that? Pumpkin spice?"

"Pumpkin and cinnamon," she grins, reaching over the rack and grabbing a cookie. She hands it to him. "Okay, try that, too."

He bites into it without a second guess and instantly mosns in delight. "What the fuck, Ally. This is delicious. What's this? The cinnamon pumpkin stuff?"

"Carrot cake mix," she grins, leaning up to kiss his cheek. "You came by at just the right time. I have to present these tomorrow and I didn't know if they were okay. Ells love them but what sugar doesn't that girl love?"

Austin grabs another cookie and leans on the counter as he says, "You know, I am hosting an Autumn party in a couple of weeks. I haven't found anyone to make desserts yet..."

She gapes. "You'd let me cater at your party? But you don't like mixing work with pleasure."

"Hey, it's not like you make disgusting desserts and I'm trying to promote you. Your work deserves to be noticed, so I want you to promote your bakery at my party. Business is slow, as you said, anyway."

"Thank you!" Ally squeals, throwing her arms around her ex-husband. Austin chuckles and rubs her back smoothly.

"Just let me know everything you need before next week is over."

Ally pulls away and pecks the corner of his lips. She moves out of his embrace and smiles brightly. "So, are you crashing here tonight or going back to your place?"