Chapter 4

Alex's POV
I take a deep breath as I walk next to Jack.
"I'm gonna start off saying that you're very lucky to be hearing this. The only other people that know are Zack and my mom. So don't mess up after I tell you, got it?" I warn him.
Jack nods, "I won't."
"So this began when I was about 10. I had an okay life but my brother, Tom was pretty bad. He had a drinking problem and was depressed, so he went home to England to try and get better. A couple years later my mom, dad, and I got a letter. It was from the place he went to, telling us he'd killed himself," my voice started to crack and tears were brimming my eyes.
"Are you sure you want to tell me this? You don't have to," Jack said quietly.
"No, it's fine. My dad told me about it a couple days after the letter came and I didn't respond really, I-" I have to pause for a moment to pull myself together. "I just walked out of the room and ran out of the house to a stream Tom had taken me to a few times. I sat there for hours just thinking and being mad and upset and almost every other emotion. I'd told him to tell me what was bothering him, asked him if I could come see him in the letters I sent him and when I called him. I felt like he couldn't trust me enough to tell me what was wrong, so didn't trust a lot of people anymore. The three of us went to England for a few days to see his funeral, and it turned out he'd- he'd written a three page letter to me."
I couldn't go on. Tears streamed down my face and I collapsed onto the ground.
"Alex. Alex come on, please try to calm down," Jack pleaded.
I did try, I really did. But breathing became harder, and the world became black.
Jacks POV
Shit, shit, shit, shit.
"Alex, come on. Wake up," I'm talking to his sleeping body.
I pick him up knowing he won't be waking up any time soon, at least my house isn't that far away.
When I'm finally at the door I skillfully unlock the door and carry Alex in and up to my room.
"Jack who is that?" May asks,scaring the hell out of me.
"His name is Alex," I say.
"What happened to him?"
"Long story."
"Is he okay?"
"I don't know! Why are you interrogating me?" I yell at her.
"Just tell me what happened."
"I met him this morning, tried to talk to him a few times, he pushed me away, then we were just walking and he was talking to me about why he was acting like he was, and he started crying and breathing heavily, and he passed out. So I carried him here," I explain.
"Jack he had a panic attack. Let me see him," she says.
I step aside and May kneels down next to Alex.
"He'll be fine. Should wake up in a few minutes," she says.
"You're sure?" I ask.
"I'd say she is."
I look at Alex and laugh seeing he's awake.
"Thanks May," I say shoving her out of my room.
"So I had a panic attack. Haven't had one of those in a year," he says more to himself.
"What do you want to do? You could stay here, and tell me more story. You could go home, and I'll see you tomorrow," I say.
"I think I'll stay. Gotta text my mom about it though," he says grabbing his phone.
Alex's POV
"Hey won't be home for a while okay" I text my mom quickly.
"Why where are you" she sends back immediately.
"I'm telling the story to someone to try and explain why I was mean to him today" I send back.
"Can you trust him" she asks.
"I think so" I reply looking at Jack.
"Okay just be back before dinner"
"Thanks"
"Okay, I can stay here until like 6:30 because I have dinner at 7. When did I stop?" I ask Jack.
"The letter," he answers.
"Okay, well the letter told me that he was in the institution place to be treated for alcoholism, and he had been getting better. But the man he was roomed with was horrible. He would have his friends come in and beat him. But the first time this happened Tom had become friends with the man and that guy wasn't there, so Tom didn't know what was happening. The next few times though, the guy was there and he'd throw insults at him. He'd say Tom was a horrible brother, that he deserved to die, and that same man was at the funeral. He was crying his eyes out, giving condolences to the family, he was a liar," I was angry reliving thoughts about this man, the man who made my brother kill himself.
"Alex, that's terrible," Jack gasped.
"I know. But that note was also an apology. Tom actually thought he was a horrible brother, he was an amazing brother and I wish I could have told him that. And at the end, he told me trust was a dangerous thing, and I had to use it carefully. So that's one reason I have trouble being nice to new people or trusting them," I concluded.
"What's the other one?" Jack asked.
This is gonna be fun.
"In the eighth grade I came out. My mom took it well, but my dad didn't. He insulted me that entire day calling me a 'faggot' or saying I was a disappointment, that he wished Tom was still alive. He left that night without a word. I stopped trusting anyone new who walked into my life, I was mean to people, and I was depressed" I explain.
Suddenly Jack hugs me.
"Thanks for trusting me" he mumbles.
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
So yeah, that was an interesting chapter. I think it was longer than than the others too.