Chapter 97

The City of Light 

Killian looked into the sea of fire above and roared in defiance. He gathered all his magic and prepared to shield as many people as possible. In his heart he knew that he would not live through this. But he must make sure that the fae and his soldiers lived through this. He had to hang ong.

Ithos took his wife's hands and kissed it, "You are the reason I was made. You are why I am who I am today. And if we die, then I have no regrets."

The boys ran over next to Ithos. He looked at them with disapproval, but they only smiled brightly. Even the Imp, whose form was mostly translucent, stood with them. He too chose to stay and fight.

The boys looked at each other, Ryion, the only grown up brother stood, a sword in one hand looked at them and sighed. His eyes were red, he had been crying over the death of Miri. He smiled at his brothers, "You should have left with the other children."

Isthan, Berin, and Ceric shook their heads, Ceric shook his fist at his now much taller brother, "Just because you're three heads taller doesn't mean I won't smack you." Ryion smiled and stood before them. If they die, then they died as a family.

Myrai's eyes overflowed with tears, she could not see as she sang. Her voice as hoarse and cracked and her lips bled but she did not stop. She would not stop.

Leonmithas looked at the fae he had called friends. These people, thousands of years ago, had fought him on the battlefields in the fae wars. Now they were comrade in arms. He smiled, he was glad to die beside them.

Jinon stood beside the woman whose face was covered in grey veins. In death she looked as if she was asleep. Jinon poured more magic in her body. She had one last breathe. She had died but in that moment he had frozen her last heartbeat. He poured more magic so that in their last moment, her heart would beat with his one last time.

The rain of fire and smoke poured from the skies towards the ragtag band of soldiers, fae, and remaining children. It crashed towards them with the force of a hundred tornados and winter tsunamis. It was unbearably powerful.

"This is what you get for defying the Shadow Dragons!" Telas, the leader roared. He was watching in glee, waiting for the power to consume them. "This is what you get in defiance!"

"Hmmm..." A voice sounded throughout the land. It was like a bell, striking into the hearts and minds who heard the sound.

"Well, that's not very impressive." The voice said, a little disappointed.

The attack from the sky, the sea of fire and magic suddenly paused. It was as if someone had froze it in place. It was only ten feet from Killian, but it had stopped. It was frozen and unmoving.

Silence, absolute silence followed. 

This was not possible. Since when could their magic be frozen in midair. Some dragons blinked, trying to see if the light was playing tricks. A murmur came from the thousands of invading dragons.

Telas squinted. Behind the fire and magic, that was where the voice was. For some reason, he hated that voice, it brought a shiver to his heart. It seemed to promise something that he could not place. He hated what he did not know.

"Who?" He roared, "Who dares question me?! Show yourself."

Suddenly, like a sunbeam, a hole split in the middle of the sea of fire.

A girl with flame red hair and green eyes stare back at the lead of the dragons. She was wearing light red robes, her hair streamed like lava and fire down her back. Black wings, as dark as the scales of the black dragon behind her, fluttered lazily in the air. She glowed gold, the utter power of the frozen grey magic and fire seemed to shy away from her form, deeply afraid of her power.