Chapter 41

Cybelline studied the stumpy little tree atop the moss covered rocks, it had looked harmless enough. but the first time she had touched the barrier, it nearly bit her hand off.

Now, to get home she would have to reach across the barrier and touch the damn stump. She sighed. For once, she wanted an adventure where all she had to do was lay in bed and watch Netflix. That's not too much to ask for right?

She looked at the stupidly beautiful land around her. It was truly beautiful, the most beautiful place she'd ever seen. The little acre of farmland, the crystal pool of water that was the color of sapphires, the air that was sweeter than any air she'd ever breathed.

And it could have been hers. After all, this was created based on her deepest desires.

Then she saw the crystal coffins where Ithos and Myrai laid, and with a small, imperceptible shook of the head, she readied herself.

She reached out and touched the barrier.

It was even more pain than she'd experienced when the mage had used the blood curse on her. The scars that had been healed now tore apart. And she was once again a bloody child, her blood drenching her clothes instantly.

In her past life, Cybelline had experienced every kind of pain. She'd been punched, knifed, and shot at. She'd been burned and bruised until many parts of her were just scar tissue.

But worms had crawled into her skin and was ripping it apart for a second time. 

Do you really think you can force me to open the gate?  A voice seemed to whispered.  Come closer and I'll devour you. 

Cybelline spat out a mouthful of blood, she'd bitten her own tongue to stay focused.

No. She thought back viciously. Shut up, if you know what's good for you.

Foolish mortal. The Source sighed. I am much more powerful than you. I am the reason why the Fae and Folk were so powerful.

Really? Cybelline scoffed. Because from what I've hear, it's Queen Titania who was in charge, not you. 

That Fae? She was powerful. But she could never completely control me, nor I her. We did a lot of good. The voice said, contemptuous. But, she never let me eat any Sparks.  

She didn't just hide you when she died. Cybelline realized. She locked you in here so that you couldn't devour any of the Sparks and people out there. You would've been out of control without her. 

The Source said nothing. Cybelline knew the truth. The Source may be the giver of magic, but it was also a hungry magic eater. 

Cybelline ignored the pain. "Who killed her?" she demanded. 

Someone whose power was far above mine. The voice was a little hesitant. Someone even I would not want to anger. 

Cybelline ignored the blood that seemed to pour out of her like small rivers and continued to push forward. 

She had never been burned by fire and ice at the same time, and now she had the pleasure, she was gonna kick the ass out of the Source.

She knew she could not give up, if she gave up, she would die. And this was just the barrier. She still needed to get past it and touch the damn Source. 

There. Her arms were through, she pushed harder and harder. Her shoulders and her head were through the barrier. It took forever, but after an eternity, she broke through the barrier.

She was covered from head to toe in blood. It was like the pig blood scene in Carrie, but in this case it was her own blood.

"That wasn't so bad." Cybelline said after wiping the blood from her eyes.